English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I believe there is something wrong in this paragraph:
The visit is to take place upon official invitation extended by his French counterpart Jean-Marc Ayrault.
It will be the foreign minister's first visit to France. He already visited Paris for personal agenda.

Here, I think "personal agenda" means for the matters he wanted to raise (and not the French counterpart). So it does not include all routine visits that foreign ministers make without official invitation.

Am I right?!

What is the source of your quoted text?

It's a poor translation from the original language. An Anglophone would probably have written for personal reasons.

It's a poor translation from the original language. An Anglophone would probably have written for personal reasons.

Exactly, "He already visited Paris for personal reasons." sounds better and natural to me. Can we also say "for personal commitments" or "because of personal commitments"?

Exactly, "He already visited Paris for personal reasons." sounds better and natural to me. Can we also say "for personal commitments" or "because of personal commitments"?

The sentence really calls for the present perfect: He has previously visited Paris for personal reasons. I wouldn't say personal commitments because the reader will wonder what the commitments were; reasons is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back