Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear,
I'm writing a motivation letter to apply a PhD position. I've never written a motivation letter before and I'm sure that I have mistakes in the letter. Could you please spend several minutes to help me correct?
Thank you very much.
Here is the letter
=====================================
Dear Professor XXX,

My name is ABC, a second year master student in applied computer science at YYY. I’m writing this letter to express my strong interest in the PhD position in machine learning and computer vision at your research center of Processing Speech and Images.

My strongest interests in computer science are computer vision and machine learning. The interest in computer vision has started when I worked as a programmer of mobile applications in Thailand from 2012 to 2014. In fact, I made iOS applications and published apps on App Store. I noticed many successful apps, which integrate the abilities of computer vision, such as face recognition, object tracking and edge detection. I wondered how those apps were built and which algorithms were used to create such really amazing utilities. To answer part of these questions, I’ve started building an app for myself named “Scanner” [SUP]1[/SUP] for scanning documents from pictures. From a view of a programmer at that time, I only investigated computer vision libraries and used them without understanding what happens inside. To go further in the details, I’ve tried to study computer vision via published papers and online tutorials, and I’ve gained double benefits. Firstly, I could understand some algorithms used in my iOS apps. Secondly, I found computer vision is a huge area with plenty of conducted researches and applications from face recognition, which is very common in mobile phones, object tracking, which is used broadly in traffic camera, to specialized things such as medical imaging. That was when my desire for mastering computer vision emerged.

Different from computer vision interest, my attention in machine learning has arisen when I followed the course “Techniques of Artificial Intelligence” at YYY. For that course, I had to learn many machine-learning algorithms and implement a small project for recognizing human faces. To fulfill the project’s requirements, I made my neural network in Java and used a free dataset available online from CMU[SUP]2[/SUP]. The success of the project encouraged me keep going on and I took an online course of machine learning on Coursera[SUP]3[/SUP]. Having finished the course, my self-confidence increases and I decide to keep my focuses not only on computer vision but also on machine learning. As a result, my unfinished master thesis uses different techniques in machine learning including emerging deep learning technique namely convolutional neural network.

As can be seen from my CV, I have a lot of experience in programming languages and frameworks. Graduated with an engineer degree in control and automation, which focuses on control methodologies of industrial machinery systems, however, I’ve started my professional career in software industry because I found programming interesting. After almost five years working in software development with different positions in several companies, luckily I found my passion and took the Master programme of Computer Science under the fully funded scholarship program of ZZZ. In fact, the courses in this program have equipped me diverse knowledge and skills, especially in image processing, computer vision and machine learning. Currently, I’m doing my thesis with the topic of data processing using sparse coding and machine learning, and it is expected to complete in June 2016. Having heard about the PhD position at your famed research center, which lies at the interface of machine learning and computer vision with application to discriminative learning for segmentation of images and tomographies, I think this is a great chance for me to deepen my knowledge, pursue my passion and contribute to medical imaging. With my experience and newly refreshed knowledge, I believe that the PhD job can be managed successfully. It will be a great honor if I can work under supervision of big-name experts, with best-equipped laboratory and in a stimulating academic atmosphere of a highly recognized university like ZZZ.

For further information, please take a closer look at my CV. I would be obliged if you could give me an opportunity to fulfill my dream at your research center and at ZZZ.
Thank you for your consideration and I am looking forward to your positive reply.

Yours sincerely,
ABC

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]Dear,[/STRIKE]
I'm writing a motivation letter to apply for a PhD position. I've never written a motivation letter before, and I'm sure that I have mistakes in the letter. Could you please [STRIKE]spend several minutes to[/STRIKE] help me correct it?
Thank you very much.
Here is the letter
=====================================

Dear Professor XXX,

My name is ABC, and I'm a second-year master's student in applied computer science at YYY. I’m writing this letter to express my strong interest in the PhD position in machine learning and computer vision at your research center. [STRIKE]of Processing Speech and Images.[/STRIKE]

My [STRIKE]strongest[/STRIKE] particular interests in computer science are computer vision and machine learning. The interest in computer vision [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] started when I worked as a programmer of mobile applications in Thailand from 2012 to 2014. In fact, I [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] developed several iOS applications and [STRIKE]published apps[/STRIKE] put them up on the App Store. I noticed that many successful apps [STRIKE], which[/STRIKE] integrated the abilities of computer vision, such as face recognition, object tracking and edge detection. I wondered how those apps were built and which algorithms were used to create such really amazing utilities. To answer [STRIKE]part of [/STRIKE] these questions, [STRIKE]I’ve[/STRIKE] I started building an app for myself named “Scanner” [SUP]1[/SUP] for scanning documents from pictures. From [STRIKE]a view of[/STRIKE] a programmer's view at that time, I [STRIKE]only investigated computer vision libraries and[/STRIKE] used [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] computer-vision libraries without understanding what happens inside. To gain a deeper understanding, [STRIKE]gofurther in the details, I’ve[/STRIKE] I tried to study computer vision [STRIKE]via[/STRIKE] from published papers and online tutorials, [STRIKE]and I’ve[/STRIKE] from which I gained two things. [STRIKE]double benefits.[/STRIKE] Firstly, I could understand some algorithms used in my iOS apps. Secondly, I found computer vision [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE]a huge area with plenty of [STRIKE]conducted[/STRIKE] research [STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] and applications [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in face recognition, which is very common in mobile phones, object tracking, which is widely used [STRIKE]broadly[/STRIKE] in traffic cameras, [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] and other specialized [STRIKE]things[/STRIKE] uses such as in medical imaging. That was when my desire for mastering computer vision emerged.

[STRIKE]Different from computer vision interest,[/STRIKE] At the same time, my [STRIKE]attention[/STRIKE] interest in machine learning [STRIKE]has arisen[/STRIKE] developed when I [STRIKE]followed[/STRIKE] did the course “Techniques of Artificial Intelligence” at YYY. For that course, I had to learn many machine-learning algorithms and implement a small project for recognizing human faces. To fulfill the project’s requirements, I made my neural network in Java and used a free dataset available online from CMU[SUP]2[/SUP]. The success of the project encouraged me to keep going, [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] and I took an online course [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] on machine learning on Coursera[SUP]3[/SUP]. Having finished the course, my self-confidence increased, and I decided to keep my focus [STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] not only on computer vision but also on machine learning. As a result, my [STRIKE]unfinished[/STRIKE] master's thesis uses different techniques in machine learning including the emerging deep learning technique [STRIKE]namely[/STRIKE] "convolutional neural network."

As can be seen from my CV, I have a lot of experience in programming languages and frameworks. I graduated with an engineering degree in control and automation, which focused on control methodologies of industrial machinery systems. However, [STRIKE]I’ve[/STRIKE] I started my professional career in the software industry because I found programming interesting. After almost five years working in software development [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] in different positions in several companies, luckily I found my passion and took the Master [STRIKE]programme[/STRIKE] of Computer Science programme under the fully funded scholarship program of ZZZ. In fact, the courses in [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] that program have equipped me with a [STRIKE]diverse[/STRIKE] wide range of knowledge and skills, especially in image processing, computer vision and machine learning. Currently, I’m doing my thesis [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] on the topic of data processing using sparse coding and machine learning, and [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] I expect [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] to complete it in June 2016. Having heard about the PhD position at your famed research center, which lies at the interface of machine learning and computer vision with application to discriminative learning for segmentation of images and tomographies, I think this is a great chance for me to deepen my knowledge, pursue my passion and contribute to medical imaging. With my experience and [STRIKE]newly refreshed[/STRIKE] solid theoretical knowledge, I believe that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] this PhD [STRIKE]job[/STRIKE] position is ideal for me. [STRIKE]can be managed successfully.[/STRIKE] It will be a great honor if I can work under the supervision of [STRIKE]big-name[/STRIKE] prominent experts, within a best-equipped laboratory and in a stimulating academic atmosphere of a highly recognized university like ZZZ.

For further information, please take a closer look at my CV. I would be obliged if you could give me an opportunity to fulfill my dream at your research center and at ZZZ.
Thank you for your consideration, and I am looking forward to your positive reply.

Yours sincerely,
ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.