Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

Can I "pick up the tab" for a gym or a swimming pool?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To pick up the tab means to pay the bill, normally for yourself and at least one other person. You usually pick up the tab for a meal or for some drinks in a bar for you and a friend or a group of friends. It's an act of generosity on your part.

If you go to the gym or to a swimming pool with a friend and you are both expected to pay an admission fee, and you offer to pay for both of you, you could describe it as picking up the tab but it would be an unusual use of the phrase.

As bhaisahab said, it sounds like you are offering to pay the bills for the gym! That would be quite expensive. I imagine a gym spends a lot of money every month on water, electricity, lighting, heating, equipment maintenance ...!

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
How about "picking up the tab for insurance costs" - I think I've seen such a sentence on the Internet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "picking up the tab for insurance costs" - I think I've seen such a sentence on the Internet.

If you can provide the full sentence and the context in which you saw that phrase, we will be able to give our opinion on whether or not it's been used appropriately. Seeing something on the internet is not necessarily any indication of its correctness or otherwise.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
If you can provide the full sentence and the context in which you saw that phrase, we will be able to give our opinion on whether or not it's been used appropriately. Seeing something on the internet is not necessarily any indication of its correctness or otherwise.

From this website: http://www.careonecredit.com/knowledge/article.aspx?article=536

Keep in mind, your employer won't pick up the tab for your insurance costs when you're no longer employed. You'll be responsible for the payments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From this website: Debt Management Articles: Losing Your Job

Keep in mind, your employer won't pick up the tab for your insurance costs when you're no longer employed. You'll be responsible for the payments.

OK, well, in that context your employer is unwilling to pay your bill for insurance, so the usage makes sense.

Me (to my ex-boss): I used to work for you. Would you please continue to pay my monthly payments for insurance?
Ex-boss: No. You don't work here any more. I'm not going to pick up the tab for your insurance policy any more. You have to pay it yourself.

That's not the same as whatever you meant by picking up the bill for the gym or swimming pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.