• Start date
  • Views : 1,937
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wotcha22

* Please check out whether the following sentences are grammatical

1. Have you had a holiday this year?
2. Good morning Jane, I haven't seen Tom this morning. Have you?
3. Ron hasn't worked very hard this term.
4. I've drunk four cups of coffee today. Perhaps I'll drink more before today is finished.
5. Linda has lost her passport again. It's the second time this has happened.
6. Bill is phoning his girl friend again. That's the third time he's phoned her this evening.

7. Did you have a holiday this year?
8. Good morning Jane. I didn't see Tom this morning. Did you?
9. Ron didn't work very hard this term.
10. I drank four cups of coffee today.
11. Linda has lost her passport again. it's the second time this happened.
12. Bill is phoning his girl friend again. That's the third time he phones her this evening.

Sentence 1~6 are obviously grammatical and make sense and I wonder about the others, especially from sentence 7 to 10.

Thanks

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You say you are a teacher so we know this is not homework. I presume you want to check your own ability to write grammatically.

7 to 10 are fine.

11 and 12 are incorrect.

Rover

W

wotcha22

You say you are a teacher so we know this is not homework. I presume you want to check your own ability to write grammatically.

7 to 10 are fine.

11 and 12 are incorrect.

Rover

Thank you for your advice. Actually my grammar book says 7 to 12 are all ungrammatical, which I don't agree.

That's why I put this question.

I think all of them are grammatical except 11 and 12.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your advice. Actually my grammar book says 7 to 12 are all ungrammatical.

The writer of the book appears to think that time expressions such as this week/month/year/term and today are always used with a present perfect. They commonly are, but it is possible to think of them as having past-time reference:

7. Did you have a holiday this year? It is still this year, but the normal time for having holidays is past.

8. Good morning Jane. I didn't see Tom this morning. Did you? This one is less likely, in my opinion. The Good morning, Jane places the utterance clearly in the morning. However, it's possible, especially if the speaker would normally expect to see Tom at an earlier time, known to both speakers. An example of this would be if Tom were a security guard the speakers see as they arrive at their place of work.

9. Ron didn't work very hard this term. The actual term referred to is probably now over or coming to an end.

10. I drank four cups of coffee today. The speaker almost certainly has no intention of drinking any more coffee. S/he considers the time for drinking coffee to be past.

Last edited:
W

wotcha22

The writer of the book appears to think that time expressions such as this week/month/year/term and today are always used with a present perfect. They commonly are, but it is possible to think of them as having past-time reference:

7. Did you have a holiday this year? It is still this year, but the normal time for having holidays is past.

8. Good morning Jane. I didn't see Tom this morning. Did you? This one is less likely, in my opinion. The Good morning, Jane places the utterance clearly in the morning. However, it's possible, especially if the speaker would normally expect to see Tom at an earlier time, known to both speakers. An example of this would be if Tom were a security guard the speakers see as they arrive at their place of work.

9. Ron didn't work very hard this term. The actual term referred to is probably now over or coming to an end.

10. I drank four cups of coffee today. The speaker almost certainly has no intention of dany more coffee. S/he considers the time for drinking coffee to be past.

Thank you so much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome, wotcha22, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you, and especially no need to quote our replies back to us. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.