Please tell me the grammar of this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Nationalist means connected with the desire of a group of people within a country for political independence.
This is a sentence I found in a dictionary. I am confused about the " means connected" part. Anyone please help me with the grammar points concerned here?Thanks.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(The word) Nationalist means (to be) connected with the desire of a group of people within a country for political independence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Nationalist means connected with the desire of a group of people within a country for political independence.
This is a sentence I found in a dictionary. I am confused about the " means connected" part. Anyone please help me with the grammar points concerned here?Thanks.
Try looking at it like this:
"Nationalist" means: "connected with the desire of a group of people within a country for political independence".
In other words: The meaning of "nationalist" is...

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know that but I want to know what grammer points employed in this sentence. Besides, if we should inteprete the sentence that way, why isn't there the quote marks? It still doesn't have the quotation marks,right?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
The word nationlist means something.

Would you include 'something' within quotation marks? No. IMO all your questions has been answered.

AUTOMOON

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know. But collions usually explain a work with a sentence. I am just confused becasue we seldom say "mean+adective", we only say "mean+sth".

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Compare:

Noir is a French adjective, which means "black". -- translate, " ",
Nationalist means [being connected with the desire of a group of people within a country for political independence]. -- describe, no " ",

Status
Not open for further replies.