Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"If everything’s a bit dry, which just happens when we’re older, it’ll be better for being given a bit of oestrogen. Lots of older women get a bit sore underneath and think that’s normal but it isn’t. And there’s some evidence that topical oestrogen can help reduce urine infections too. Plush is lush."

This is from The Book About Getting Older by Lucy Pollock.
What does 'plush is lush' mean?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that the writer is referring to the fact that the application of topical oestrogen can alleviate some of the vaginal discomfort experienced by some post-menopausal women.

The 'plush is lush' phrase seems to me to be some sort of crude attempt to make a zingy phrase indicating that richness in oestrogen leads to a healthy, fresh sexual life.

If I am right, I don't think the message is clear. If I am wrong, some better-informed member can tell us.

Not a woman.
Not a gynaecologist.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I see you have (as yet) received no response to you question here, suggesting that I am not alone in being unable to understand the meaning clearly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think the 'lush' part has anything to do with a good sex life. I think it just refers to a healthy (i.e. infection-free) pelvic area.

Not a woman

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Another meaning of plush is smart and comfortable, which probably enables one to exude confidence, thus to look attractive/appealing/lovable.

Last edited:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
I agree with 5jj that it’s a forced attempt at a catchy line.

”Lush” works here. One of its definitions is “luxurious,” and its slang meanings include sexy/desirable.

“Plush” is a much more questionable choice of words. I would guess that the author chose it mostly because it rhymes with “lush,” and for its weak connections to meanings/feelings of “comfortable” and “smooth to touch.” We can invent and guess at additional reasons for its use, but at the end of the day, it’s a poor choice for what the zinger is trying to say: that having your lady parts feel comfortable and lubricated leads to sexiness and pleasure.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd take lush to mean more than infection-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.