Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Dear teachers,

when doing an exercise on adverbs of manner and their position I came across the following sentence for which only one solution was given (a)

a) There's probably nothing better than lying down lazily onto the sofa after work.

Adverbs of manner can be put in mid-position as well, I believe. So, is it also possible to say:

b) There's probably nothing better than lazily lying down onto the sofa after work.

c) There's probably nothing better than lying lazily down onto the sofa after work.

Or even (end position)?

d) There's probably nothing better than lying down onto the sofa lazily after work.

e) There's probably nothing better than lying down onto the sofa after work lazily.

I'm confused.
Would you please help me?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A through C are possible if you replace "onto" with on.

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
First of all, you were right, the 'onto' was my mistake...

Thank you very much for your answer but still there is something that remained unclear to me. "down" is a preposition here. It is followed not by an object but my an adverb of place - group.
So, if there were an object, 'lazily' should go in front of the preposition as in c). I would not be allowed to put it in front of the object.
But in this case here, there is no object, so it is fine to put it after the preposition as in a)

But what about b)? Is it grammatically correct to put 'lazily' in front of the verb here, or is it just okay?
And with d): when I put 'lazily' after "lying down on the sofa", is it grammatically wrong then? Can I see the whole process as one action (that is 'verb')?

Thank you so much in advance!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
down is not a preposition here but the particle (an adverb) of the phrasal verb lie down, which is intransitive and so does not use an object.

Put the adverb of manner lazily either immediately before or immediately after the phrase you want it to focus on.

The phrase in question here is probably lying down, so a) and b) are good.

d) works too, if you mean the focus phrase to be lying down on the sofa.

c) doesn't quite work because it's not too natural to split a phrasal verb like this.

Finally, e) doesn't work at all next to after work.

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you very much, jutfrank for your clear explanation! I'm feeling a lot more comfortable now!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
jackyO, we'd like to welcome you to the forum, but please correct the information in your profile first.

When you attempt to answer questions here, you must state that you are not a teacher - as stated in the Posting Guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.