Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Water levels in low-lying coastal areas were expected to rise rapidly overnight, possibly reaching historical records.

Source: Super Typhoon Saola: Hong Kong issues highest T10 storm signal, first since 2018 by MERCEDES HUTTON

Is the underline part a participle clause?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If I separate the sentence into two, are they like this? :

Water levels in low-lying coastal areas were expected to rise rapidly overnight. Water levels are possibly reaching historical records.

Original paragraph:
Water levels in low-lying coastal areas were expected to rise rapidly overnight, possibly reaching historical records. Shing Mun River, Tai Po, Sha Tau Kok and Sai Kung have been hardest hit so far, according to the Observatory.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I separate the sentence into two, are they like this? :

Water levels in low-lying coastal areas were expected to rise rapidly overnight. Water levels are possibly reaching historical records.

No.

The part after the comma is equivalent to saying 'Water levels will possibly reach historical records'. It's a prediction.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Water levels in low-lying coastal areas were expected to rise rapidly overnight, possibly reaching historical records.

Source: Super Typhoon Saola: Hong Kong issues highest T10 storm signal, first since 2018 by MERCEDES HUTTON

A clause has a subject and a predicate. There is no overt subject in "possibly reaching historical records," so it is not obviously a clause.

I see two possibilities: it is a participial clause with an unexpressed subject, or it is a participial predicate adjoined to the predicate of main clause.

If it is a participial predicate adjoined to the main clause, then the phrase does not actually contain a subject and is therefore not properly a clause.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
A clause has a subject and a predicate. There is no overt subject in "possibly reaching historical records," so it is not obviously a clause.

I see two possibilities: it is a participial clause with an unexpressed subject, or it is a participial predicate adjoined to the predicate of main clause.

If it is a participial predicate adjoined to the main clause, then the phrase does not actually contain a subject and is therefore not properly a clause.

I wouldn't go along with what you say.

"Possibly reaching historical records" is undoubtedly a clause, a non-finite one to be precise.

Like most non-finite clauses, it doesn't have an overt subject, but we understand it as if it does. In this case, we take it to be "water levels in low-lying coastal areas".

The comma after "overnight" marks the clause as a supplement, a loosely attached expression set of by intonation and usually by punctuation, presenting supplementary non-integrated content.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't go along with what you say.
Please note that my post was agnostic on whether the participial phrase qualifies as a clause. To say that a given phrase is not obviously a clause is not to say that it is obviously not a clause. The participial phrase in question may be a clause, and it may not be a clause. That is "what I say."
"Possibly reaching historical records" is undoubtedly a clause, a non-finite one to be precise.

Like most non-finite clauses, it doesn't have an overt subject, but we understand it as if it does. In this case, we take it to be "water levels in low-lying coastal areas".
Does understanding a phrase as if it had a subject prove that the subject is in fact part of the phrase and therefore that the phrase is itself a clause?

Let's apply your principle to a different case. A coordinated predicate (e.g., "walked across the room" in "He stood up and walked across the room") is understood as it if had a subject. In fact, such a predicate does have a subject, but the subject is not part of the predicate; or, if it is, we must resort to a generative derivation whereby "He stood up and walked across the room" derives from "He stood up and he walked across the room."

Would you say that "walked across the room" is a clause in "He stood up and walked across the room"?

The comma after "overnight" marks the clause as a supplement, a loosely attached expression set of by intonation and usually by punctuation, presenting supplementary non-integrated content.
I'm fine with all that, but what does its being a "loosely attached expression," etc., have to do with the question of whether it is a clause?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

Yes: more specifically a gerund-participial clause, as it's called in some modern grammars.

The clause contains the adverb "possibly" serving as a modal modifier in the structure of the clause.

Like most non-finite clauses, it has no over subject but we understand it as if it does. In this case, we take it to be "water levels in low-lying coastal areas".

Further, the clause is set off from the rest of the clause by a comma, which marks it as a supplement, a loosely attached expression set off by intonation and here by punctuation, presenting supplementary non-integrated content.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like most non-finite clauses, it has no over subject but we understand it as if it does
You might as well say:

"Like most non-finite clauses, it doesn't appear to be a clause but we understand it as if it were one, so we go ahead and call it one."

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

We call it a clause because it has a subject-predicate structure.

The fact that the subject is understood rather than being overtly stated makes no difference to its status as a clause.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We call it a clause because it has a subject-predicate structure.
Prove that the phrase itself has its subject within it, then.

If the understood subject is outside of the phrase, then the subject is not actually part of the phrase.

If the subject is not part of the phrase, whether overtly or covertly, then the phrase is not actually a clause.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Prove that the phrase itself has its subject within it, then.

If the understood subject is outside of the phrase, then the subject is not actually part of the phrase.

If the subject is not part of the phrase, whether overtly or covertly, then the phrase is not actually a clause.
If the phrase is not a clause, could you give me an example sentence of using a participle clause? I’m learning about participle clauses.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the phrase is not a clause, could you give me an example sentence of using a participle clause? I’m learning about participle clauses.
Participial phrases which are obviously clauses have an overt subject. This happens in nominative absolute constructions, which are adverbial:

Water levels reaching historical records, flood precautions were immediately instituted.

It also happens in the so-called ACC-ing construction. Here the ACC-ing construction is the subject of the sentence.

Water levels reaching historical records would be rather surprising should it occur.

Participial clauses with covert subjects most obviously occur in what are commonly considered reduced relative clauses.

Those water levels reaching historical records [= which reached historical levels] were immediately documented.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Which parts are participial phrases and which parts are non-finite clause?

Non-finite Clause

They contain a Participle or an Infinitive Verb that makes the Subject and Verb evident even though hidden. In terms of a Participle, the Participial Phrase takes place of the Subject or Object of the sentence.

Examples:

• He saw the boy (who was) staring out of the window.
  • She is the first person (who is) to enter the office.
  • Hearing the fireworks, the children jumped up.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Actually, I just want to know if I can turn the following sentence into #1

Mary lives in a small town, and she is used to clean air.

1. Living in a small town, she is used to clean air.

Also:

John kicked a stone. He fell into a pool.

2. John kicked a stone, felling into a pool.
3. Kicking a stone, John fell into a pool.

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

Also:

2. John kicked a stone, felling falling into a pool.
Yes, you can. In both cases the gerund-participial clauses are functioning as adjuncts

In 1., for example, "living in a small town" can plausibly be interpreted as an adjunct of implicate reason in that it gives the reason for the matrix situation.

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

They differ in meaning. Sentence (1) indicates that Mary's living in a small town is the reason for her being used to clean air; the original does not: it just presents two independent facts, that Mary lives in a small town and that she is used to clean air.

If you meant to ask, "I just want to know if 'she' is the understood subject of 'Living in a small town' in (1)," the answer is yes; however, my point is that an NP's being the understood subject of a participle does not prove that the NP is part of the phrase itself, visibly or invisibly.

Maybe, Maybo, you are not following me. I suppose the point is a little advanced. From an ESL learning standpoint, by all means, go ahead and consider these participial phrases nonfinite clauses. Proving that the understood subject is actually part of the phrase is purely academic.

2. John kicked a stone, felling into a pool.

Sentence (2) is ungrammatical. In the original, "fell" is the past tense of "fall," whose present participle is "falling," not "felling."

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Do #2 and #3 indicate different meanings?