Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Mrs. Jones: My daughter makes $500,000 a year at her job. How much does your daughter make?

Mrs. Smith: My daughter doesn't work. She is in school now. (= She is a student). When she graduates next year, she will be

making $1,000,000 a year.

Mrs. Jones: Oh! And where is she at this moment?

Mrs. Smith: Actually she's at school in another country. She'll be returning home in December for the holidays.

Mrs. Jones: Oh! And where is your husband now?

Mrs. Smith: He is now at the school where our son studies. I think that you know which school. It's that school on George

Washington Boulevard.

Mrs. Jones: Does your husband pick up your son every day at school?

Mrs. Smith: Yes, he does. Our son really wants to be picked up at his friend's house, but we think it's safer if my husband picks him

up at school at 3:15 every afternoon.

Mrs. Jones: By the way, do you work?

Mrs. Smith: No, I don't. But I am seriously thinking about going to school ( = become a student). In fact, I went to the school (that I

am thinking about) yesterday and asked for some information.

Mrs. Jones: And where is your dear mother?

Mrs. Smith: She's in the hospital.

Mrs. Jones: Anything serious?

Mrs. Smith: No, she's getting a facelift. She hates those wrinkles.

Mrs. Jones: How is she doing?

Mrs. Smith: Very well. My husband and I were at the hospital last night to visit her. She'll be there for a week, so we will be

going to the hospital every day. All the doctors and nurses say that she now looks to be only 40 years old.

Mrs. Jones: Oh!

Mrs. Smith: Any more questions?

Mrs. Jones: Did you say that your daughter is going to earn $1,000,000 a year?

Mrs. Smith: Yes, I did.

Mrs. Jones: Oh!

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hospital is a complicated one! In BrE:

I'm going to the hospital to pick up my friend.
I'm going to pick my friend up from the hospital. (If the friend has been there for a brief appointment or is simply waiting outside the building.)
I'm going to pick my friend up from hospital. (If the friend has been an in-patient, kept overnight or longer.)

Note my amendments in red again, particularly to "its" and "who's".
So it means except when talking about an in-patient we put an article "the" before "hospital".

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Mrs. Smith: Actually she's at school (Why not "at a school"?)in another country. She'll be returning home in December for the holidays.

Mrs. Smith: He is now at the school where our son studies. I think that you know which school. It's that school on George

Washington Boulevard.

Mrs. Jones: Does your husband pick up your son every day at school (Why not "at the school" or "from the school" ?)

Mrs. Smith: Yes, he does. Our son really wants to be picked up at (why not "from"?) his friend's house, but we think it's safer if my husband picks him

up at school(Why not "at the school" or "from the school" ?) at 3:15 every afternoon.

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In BrE it's "in".

"I live in Mahatma Gandhi road." It sounds a bit odd because with "road" we use "on" like "Walking on the road."
"I live in Shivaji Lane." or "I live in Parliament Street." Sounds fine like "Children were playing in the lane/street."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I live in Mahatma Gandhi Road." It sounds a bit odd because with "road" we use "on" like "Walking on the road."
"I live in Shivaji Lane." or "I live in Parliament Street." Sounds fine like "Children were playing in the lane/street."

It might sounds strange to you but don't forget that the word "Road" is part of the name, the same as "Lane" or "Street" so it takes the same rule.

I live in Park Lane.
I live in Regent Street.
I live in Grantham Road.
I live in Edburton Avenue.
I live in Queens Park Drive.
I live in The Drove.

Also, in BrE, if you were walking on the tarmac surface of a road instead of on the pavement, we would say "I was walking in the road".

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It might sounds strange to you but don't forget that the word "Road" is part of the name, the same as "Lane" or "Street" so it takes the same rule.

I live in Park Lane.
I live in Regent Street.
I live in Grantham Road.
I live in Edburton Avenue.
I live in Queens Park Drive.
I live in The Drove.

Also, in BrE, if you were walking on the tarmac surface of a road instead of on the pavement, we would say "I was walking in the road".

Thank you very much.:)

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Would I say " My college isin Madhya Marg (It's the name of a road in Chandigarh in India.)." to describe its location?
People over here say "on Madhya Marg".
I'm at Madhya Marg now.
Meet me at the corner of Madhya Marg.
Rose Garden is in/on/at Madhya Marg.
Please correct and clarify.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, yes, if your road name is "Madhya Marg", then it would be "My college is in Madhya Marg".

However, I'm pretty sure that in AmE, it would be "on Madhya Marg". In addition, you will hear the AmE usage more frequently in popular use (film titles, song titles etc): Nightmare on Elm Street, Miracle on 34th Street, ...on Electric Avenue.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would I say " My college isin Madhya Marg (It's the name of a road in Chandigarh in India.)." to describe its location?
People over here say "on Madhya Marg".
I'm at Madhya Marg now.
Meet me at the corner of Madhya Marg.
Rose Garden is in/on/at Madhya Marg.
Please correct and clarify.
I would say "My college is in Madhya Marg". "I'm in Madhya Marg". "The Rose Garden (Gulab bhaag) is in Madhya Marg". Speakers of AmE would probably use different prepositions.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mrs. Smith: Actually she's at school (Why not "at a school"?)in another country. She'll be returning home in December for the holidays.

Washington Boulevard.

Mrs. Jones: Does your husband pick up your son every day at school (Why not "at the school" or "from the school" ?)

Mrs. Smith: Yes, he does. Our son really wants to be picked up at (why not "from"?) his friend's house, but we think it's safer if my husband picks him

up at school(Why not "at the school" or "from the school" ?) at 3:15 every afternoon.

Great questions -- as usual!

I wish that I could answer them, but I can't!

Hopefully someone else will.

keen learner

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would say "My college is in Madhya Marg". "I'm in Madhya Marg". "The Rose Garden (Gulab bhaag) is in Madhya Marg". Speakers of AmE would probably use different prepositions.

Do we use the article "the" before the names of the "gardens", "parks","memorials" and "tombs" ?
Is it not "Central Park", "Rock Garden","Raj Ghat", "Washington Memorial"?
Further would we say "the Dal Lake" or "Dal Lake"?
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a totally different question (and has been discussed several times). Please do a search of the forum first and if you can't find the information you need, please start a new thread for this question. Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Washington Boulevard.

Hello, keen learner:

I woke up today at 2:45 a.m. and ran to my computer to see whether anyone had answered your great questions.

Alas! No one has!

If no one does so within 24 hours, you may wish to start a new thread with those questions. Like many other members, I am

eager to know the answers, too.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This thread has rambled over too many different topics, and has become confusing, so I am closing it. Members are welcome to ask any of the questions posed in fresh threads, but please stick to one question and directly relevant follow-ups for each thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.