Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi, am I right to say that because I can use the Present Perfect Simple tense even for continuous actions, that I don't have to use the Present Perfect Continuous tense.

I'm thinking about:-

They have followed that story in the newspaper.
OR
The have been following that story in the newspaper.

Both are correct, aren't they?

However, I feel as if the next sentence can't be the present perfect simple tense and I'm not sure why. Can anyone tell me?

Jake and I have been thinking about where to go on holiday for weeks but we just can't decide.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

It would be OK with "have thought", in my opinion.

I know that the continuous tenses should be used for duration, but I could use the present perfect simple tense all the time if I prefer?

I know that the continuous tenses should be used for duration, but I could use the present perfect simple tense all the time if I prefer?
You could. It would obviously be simpler for you. But the continuous indicates that it's ongoing, whereas the simple tense doesn't.
"I've thought about what you said." - You've finished thinking about it, and have come to a conclusion.
"I've been thinking about what you said." - You're still thinking.

There is a lot of overlap between these two forms.

Jake and I have been thinking about where to go on holiday for weeks but we just can't decide.

This to me suggests that the thinking hasn't finished.

Jake and I have thought about where to go on holiday for weeks but we just can't decide.

This could mean that you're still thinking or that you have given up thinking.

Last edited:
Please note that a better title would have been They have followed/have been following.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

They have followed that story in the newspaper.
OR
The have been following that story in the newspaper.
The first one can mean that the story is already over and they are no longer following it.
The second one means that the story is still being run and they are still following it now.
Are they correct? Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back