Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Tomorrow is the Chinese new year again. Usually during this time, prices of almost everything will be twice expensive than other time of the year.

I wrote "Prices of many things during the Spring Festival will be twice or three times expenive than the other time of the year".

Is this sentence natural? (Will native speakers of English express like how I did?) If so, could you please suggest an alternative?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tomorrow is the Chinese New Year again. Usually during this time, the prices price of almost everything will be is twice expensive than what it is at other times of the year.
Note my changes above.
I wrote "Prices The price of many things during the Spring Festival will be is [usually] twice or three times expenive than the that at other times of the year".
Note my changes above.
Is this sentence natural? (Will Would native speakers of English express it like how I did?)
With my changes, it's something a native speaker might say.
If so, could you please suggest an alternative?
I think you mean "If not, could you suggest an alternative?" "If so" means "If it's natural and might be said by a native speaker" so if that's true, you don't need an alternative. You need an alternative only if yours is wrong.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this sentence natural? (Will native speakers of English express like how I did?) If so, could you please suggest an alternative?

That's not what you need to ask this time. I think you just want to know whether your sentence is properly constructed. (It isn't.)

Further to emsr2d2's correction, here's another:

During the Spring Festival, prices are two or three times higher than at other times of the year.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Twice as expensive" or "three times as expensive" is also natural.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another possibility:

Prices during the festival are double or triple what they are the rest of the year.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Doesn't Chinese New Year happen every year?

By saying it's Chinese New Year again along with your complaint about the prices you seem to be expressing annoyance. (Since you know prices are going to go up, annoyance seems to be a natural reaction.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Twice as expensive" or "three times as expensive" is also natural.
I agree with that as long as the prices at those other times of the year are already considered expensive. If they're cheap outside of Spring Festival, I'd use "cost twice as much/cost three times as much".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
We call it Chinese New Year here rather than Spring Festival, probably because we do not have the seasons. Prices do go up especially at food outlets, but not to the extent of double or triple the usual.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't call a price expensive or inexpensive. People don't buy prices. An item can be expensive (compared to others). A price can be high or low (compared to other prices). They go up. They go down. Or they stay the same.

Prices are information.