Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Zhou opened a chatroom on Douyin (Chinese version of TikTok), she was live streaming this chatroom. People from all over the world chatted there. Recently, due to some government policy, she didn't open her chatroom. However, people in China were not forbidden to chat on Douyin, and there were still many participants in China wanted to join the chatroom. I'm a moderator of that room and today someone asked why Zhou didn't start her chatroom because many people wanted to join. I said:

Probably her chatroom is exclusively for overseas participants.

I said this because I once saw her (Zhou) chatting with someone. She said she just wanted to see more and more overseas people join her room because their English is good.

Is my italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Zhou opened a chatroom on Douyin (Chinese version of TikTok); she was live streaming this chatroom it. People from all over the world chatted there. Recently, due to some a [new] government policy, she didn't open her chatroom it. However, people in China were not forbidden to chat on Douyin, and there were still many participants in China who wanted to join the chatroom it. I'm a moderator of that room it and today someone asked why Zhou didn't start her chatroom it because they knew many people wanted to join. I said:

Probably Her chatroom is probably exclusively for overseas participants.

I said this because I once saw her (Zhou) chatting with someone. She said she just wanted to see more and more overseas people from overseas/abroad join her room because their English is good.

Is my italic sentence natural?

Note my changes above. What's the relevance of the underlined sentence? There is no connection between it and the next one. If you mean that you heard her tell that "someone" that she wanted people from overseas to join, you need to make that clear.

Look carefully at each occasion on which I replaced "the/this/her chatroom" with "it". You need to work on your use of pronouns. Your text had far too many repetitions of "chatroom/room".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you mean that you heard her tell that "someone" that she wanted people from overseas to join, you need to make that clear.
My apologies. I should have made this clear. Yes, I meant to say that "She was talking to someone else about wanting only overseas people to join and I heard that".

And I'm sorry for the bad use of pronouns. I'll pay more attention to them.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about:

Her chatroom was meant for overseas participants?

Status
Not open for further replies.