[Grammar] Problems distinguishing Future tenses (examples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Jack4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi,
I am a student and doing a grammar class at university. I just did a e-learning mock test. Unfortunately I am struggling with the Future tense.

Talking about plans, as far as i know, I am supposed to use going to for Future plans that are made just in a person´s head. While will is only used for spontaneous actions and Present Progressive for very definite plans. But, I am not sure what to with questions. How is the questioner supposed to know how concrete the other person`s plans are?

According to my knowledge I filled in what`s marked red in the gaps:

[2 friends were sitting in a cafe, having a chat] E suddenly said, “What are you going to do(do, you) at Christmas?” “I am going to go (go) to Cornwall for a couple of weeks – to polish up my Cornish!"

This is what the university suggests:

E suddenly said, “What are you doing (do, you) at Christmas?” “I will go (go) to Cornwall for a couple of weeks – to polish up my Cornish!"

Can you please help me figuring out what I did wrong?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
I am a student and doing a grammar class at university. I just did a e-learning mock test. Unfortunately I am struggling with the Future tense.

Talking about plans, as far as i know, I am supposed to use going to for Future plans that are made just in a person´s head. While will is only used for spontaneous actions and Present Progressive for very definite plans. But, I am not sure what to with questions. How is the questioner supposed to know how concrete the other person`s plans are?

According to my knowledge I filled in what`s marked red in the gaps:

[2 friends were sitting in a cafe, having a chat] E suddenly said, “What are you going to do(do, you) at Christmas?” “I am going to go (go) to Cornwall for a couple of weeks – to polish up my Cornish!"

This is what the university suggests:

E suddenly said, “What are you doing (do, you) at Christmas?” “I will go (go) to Cornwall for a couple of weeks – to polish up my Cornish!"

Can you please help me figuring out what I did wrong?

Your answer is correct.

Black_Jack4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your answer and it`s good to hear. Though, I makes me wonder how official university material could be wrong.

Another question: When we talk about question, how do I know which tense to use? How is the questioner supposed to know how concrete the other person`s plans are?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your answer and it`s good to hear. Though, I makes me wonder how official university material could be wrong.

Another question: When we talk about question, how do I know which tense to use? How is the questioner supposed to know how concrete the other person`s plans are?

You don't need to know how concrete the other person's plans are. "What are you doing at Christmas?", "What are you going to do at Christmas?" are both possible.

Black_Jack4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Sorry to bother you again, but what about the "will" in the officially suggested solution? Is it also possible? I would consider it a plan for the future and in the consequence it appears to be wrong. Could you give me your opinion on that and explain why you think so, please?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your answer in this context is more natural than the 'official' one. It's as simple as that.

'I will go' is possible in a different context...for emphasis when somebody is trying to stop you going, for example.

Rover

Black_Jack4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you both for your help!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Black_Jack, instead of sending your thanks in a separate message, just click the Like button, please.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.