Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

I was wondering if I could record myself pronouncing a bunch of words or short phrases so that you can hear them and provide me with some feedback.

Sincerely,

Antonio.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure, that's fine. You should post the link in the "Pronunciation" forum.

Try to make a few short recordings using a variety of vocabulary without a script. Most people pronounce foreign words quite differently when they're reading.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Link? Can't I just upload an audio clip directly from my PC? If not, do you host any specific webpage where I can upload audio files?

Sincerely,

Antonio.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Link? Can't I just upload an audio clip directly from my PC? If not, do you host any specific webpage where I can upload audio files?
You can upload mp3 files. Many forum members prefer to put their recordings on vocaroo.com, which is very convenient for listening.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thank you GoesStation. I'm sorry if my post above sounded a tad acrimonious, it was not my intention at all.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

I was wondering if you could hear my recording. Shall I upload the m4a file?

Sincerely,

Antonio.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear all,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

I was wondering if you could hear my recording. Shall I upload the m4a file?

[STRIKE]Sincerely, Antonio.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

There is no need to upload anything else. The post with your Vocaroo recording was successful. We just haven't had time to comment on it yet. I just had a quick listen. The first thing I would say is that you need to improve your pronunciation of "The enormous ...". It needs to sound like two distinct words. The sound between those words, when spoken by a native English speaker, is "y". I don't do phonetics, but it should sound like "Thee yinormous".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought it would be easier to record your piece myself instead of trying to explain in writing how it should sound. This is my version:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ejXzGczWoq

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first thing I would say is that you need to improve your pronunciation of "The enormous ...". It needs to sound like two distinct words. The sound between those words, when spoken by a native English speaker, is "y". I don't do phonetics, but it should sound like "Thee yinormous".
The same comment applies to the economy. Unlike Spanish, English retains both syllables when one word ends in an e​ and the next word begins with one.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much for your comments.

Your recording, emsr2d2, sounds different from the American accent, and is certainly more difficult to emulate. However, it offered me useful guidance, especially in the intonation, which is very distinct from mine.

Does the always end with an i sound? Also, I would like to know if I pronounced correctly the words brought, repercussion and literally based on an American accent.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wasn't aware that you were aiming for an American accent. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have bothered to record it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I'm sorry for not specifying from the beginning. I thought you were all Americans.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are non-American native English speakers in the world too, you know.

If you click on the Member Info tab in the member profile box, you will see which variety of English we speak.

In future, please remind us of what variety of target language you're aiming for, if that is something that's important to you. Thanks.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I am new to the forum, so am not familiar with all its features. Neither did I know most of you are British.
I believe writing is practically identical in British and American English, with a few minor exceptions. My aim is to acquire an American accent or at least one similar to it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No one said that most of us are British. This forum is populated by people from all over the world, native speakers and non-native speakers. As jutfrank said, if you want to know what someone's native language is, click on "Member Info" under their profile photo and name.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The same comment applies to the economy. Unlike Spanish, English retains both syllables when one word ends in an e​ and the next word begins with one.

Pronouncing the with the /i/ vowel makes it easier to enunciate both words. It's not always done in American English, but learners should use that pronunciation.

When the next word begins with a consonant, we pronounce the with a schwa unless we're giving it extra emphasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.