Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Hi
I heard that names of these applications “ Photos and Notes” which are found in I Phones are considered proper nouns, but if I name a file or folder on a computer with such names then they will be considered common nouns. Can someone tell me if this is correct and why?

Also there is a technology used in machines such as washing machines called “ 6 th sense or sixth sense”, Is this name a proper or common noun? How do I decide?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Every sentence, however short, needs to end with a closing punctuation mark.
I heard that names of these applications “Photos" and "Notes”, which are found in on i-Phones, are considered proper nouns, but if I name a file or folder on a computer with such names, then they will be are considered common nouns. Can someone tell me if this is correct and why?
The app names are proper nouns because they are the officially recognised titles (sometimes even trademarks) of those apps. When you use them for a file or a folder, the words are just common nouns. Having said that, if you were referring to those files on your computer in a sentence, you might well say "You can find it in my Photos folder". As you can see, it's not impossible to use a capital letter there.
Also, there is a technology used in machines such as washing machines called “6th sense" or "sixth sense”. Is this name a proper or common noun? How do I decide?
I've never heard of it but if it's limited to machines made by one particular brand, it's almost certainly patented or trademarked, so would be considered a proper noun.

Lina711

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
Every sentence, however short, needs to end with a closing punctuation mark.

The app names are proper nouns because they are the officially recognised titles (sometimes even trademarks) of those apps. When you use them for a file or a folder, the words are just common nouns. Having said that, if you were referring to those files on your computer in a sentence, you might well say "You can find it in my Photos folder". As you can see, it's not impossible to use a capital letter there.

I've never heard of it but if it's limited to machines made by one particular brand, it's almost certainly patented or trademarked, so would be considered a proper noun.
Thanks for your help; concerning the technology called 6th Sense” it is used in many appliances of different brands, but there are some series of Whirlpools’ appliances on which the name 6th sense is added, beacuse they consider that they operate with Whirlpool’s 6th Sense technolgy, so is it correct to consider it here as a proper noun, but when used alone not related to the brand then we consider it as common?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you should take your cue from Whirlpool's own website, on which they do not capitalise it. See HERE.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Sixth Sense' is a proper noun, yes, so it should always be capitalised.

The patented name is written without a space (SixthSense) but if you're referring more generally to the technology, I think you should use the space, capitalise both words, and do not use numerals (6th).