Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
does "public school" in England mean private school? From the context it may seem so, but want to be sure.

Inside the Marshall Court’s ballroom, kids stand with their parents, hovering beside tables or studying the posted pairings. Most are wearing weekend clothes. A few public-school pupils are in uniforms.
Her next opponent attends a public school well represented in this competition; so far, its pupils have posted an unblemished record.
Elissa twists her head and feels, against her ear, the unmistakable curve of a bicep. Simultaneously, she realizes that the pressure on her eyes and mouth comes from fingers pressed against them. She thinks of the public-school girls with their unblemished record, and the cruel tricks kids like to play.
Sam Lloyd "The Memory Wood"

krisstte

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you. I just wanted to clear out if I understand this article correctly. It seems, that it is really a private, boarding school.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. I just wanted to clear work out if I understand had understood this article correctly. It seems no comma here that it is really a private no comma here boarding school.

Note my corrections and comments above. It doesn't have to be a boarding school. There are plenty of public day schools.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are plenty of public day schools.
I don't entirely agree. While there are some very well known independent schools that are day schools, we generally associate 'public school' with boarding schools.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can attend many public schools with a strong tradition of boarding as a day boy/girl. I have to say, as someone who is guilty of attending a very minor public school and did not board while many did, that I am with Emsr2d2 on this.