Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi, puff over seems a favourite interjection of sir Allsmine, a character of the novel "Corsaire Triplex" by Paul d'Ivoi (the book is in French, but Allsmine is Australian and originally speaks English). He used it to say something like "Cheer up!" or so. But I am not sure. Help me. please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi! "Puff over" seems to be a favourite interjection of Sir Allsmine, a character in the novel Corsaire Triplex by Paul d'Ivoi. (The book is in French, but Allsmine is Australian and [STRIKE]originally[/STRIKE] speaks English.) He uses it to mean something like "Cheer up!" [STRIKE]or so[/STRIKE]. But I am not sure. Help me, please.
I've never heard the expression "Puff over."

The titles of books, movies, plays, magazines, and music albums are in italics. The titles of short stories, articles, and songs are in quotation marks.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Meliss, please remember to put the words you're asking us about in both the title and the main body of your post. I've changed post #1 (and the subsequent quote) so that your opening sentence says "Puff over", not just "It".

I've never heard it before.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It may well just be an expression the author has created for his character. Authors sometimes invent terms for their characters that are otherwise meaningless or unheard of in "real" English. They may also take perfectly innocuous words in actual English and turn them into insults or profanity within their imaginary world.

Status
Not open for further replies.