Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1-To study architecture, Harry's father sent him to Italy.
2-In order to study architecture, Harry's father sent him to Italy.

Are these sentences acceptable if Harry is the one who is to study architecture?

Technically, no.
Both say that it was Harry's father who was going to study.

Most people use common sense and understand what you mean.

In my opinion, you almost never need "In order to."

Just reverse it: Harry's father sent him to Italy to study architecture. I find that better than the passive: To study architecture, Harry was sent by his father to Italy. (

Thanks a lot BobD.

Would any native-speaker use a sentence like these in speech or writing (if they are not drunk, etc.)?

You are always likely to encounter incorrect sentence structures even from native speakers.

Our principal aim in communication is being understood. We are not always considering the most grammatical way to express ourselves.

Does the same not apply to Armenian speakers?

Rover

Thanks Rover.

I can't answer your question because I am always drunk myself!

No, I am kidding. You are quite right. But still, there are mistakes native speakers make and there are ones they (almost) never make. I mean there are times when I say something and I can see by the way they look at me that I have messed up!
There are a variety of mistakes.

Gratefully
Navi

Technically, no.
Both say that it was Harry's father who was going to study.

Most people use common sense and understand what you mean.

In my opinion, you almost never need "In order to."

Just reverse it: Harry's father sent him to Italy to study architecture. I find that better than the passive: To study architecture, Harry was sent by his father to Italy. (

Why does " Harry's father sent him to Italy to study architecture." meeans completely differently than "To study architecture., harry's father sent him to Italy."

By the strictest rules of grammar (which ignore that people have common sense) the first one suggests that Harry's father sent Harry away, to Italy, so that Harry's father could devote time to studying architecture.

To study architecture -- the noun that immediately follows this should be the person who is going to study architecture.
So To study architecture, Harry's father -- This tells us that it's Harry's father who is going to study architecture.

So, imagine this: Harry's mother lives in Italy. Harry lives with his father. Harry's father decides he wants to study architecture, which require full-time study and he won't have time to be a good father. To study architecture, Harry's father sent him Italy.

But absent the situation I just described, most people would assign the same meaning - Harry is going to study architecture, and his father is helping him with this effort by sending him to Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back