Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Philippines
Question and Answer pattern

This question may look very basic but I would like to know how English natives would actually say.

(In a manner like a parent asks a little kid)
A: What is by the window?
B: (___________)

1, A racket is.
2, There is a racket.
3, others

As a basic pattern practice, 2 is usually taught, but I still wonder if it sounds natural.

(a) A racket is by the window.
(b) There is a racket by the window.

I guess (b) surely sounds more natural than (a) here.

To the answer A, it is natural to answer 1? or what is the best answer pattern here?

Thank you in advance.

Question and Answer pattern

This question may look very basic but I would like to know how English natives would actually say.

(In a manner like a parent asks a little kid)
A: What is by the window?
B: (___________)

1, A racket is.
2, There is a racket.
3, others

As a basic pattern practice, 2 is usually taught, but I still wonder if it sounds natural.

(a) A racket is by the window.
(b) There is a racket by the window.

I guess (b) surely sounds more natural than (a) here.

To the answer A, it is natural to answer 1? or what is the best answer pattern here?

Thank you in advance.

I suppose you mean a tennis racquet. The natural answer to "What is by the window?" is "A racquet" (if that's what is there).

Thanks. When I checked a dictionary for the spelling "racquet", it says "See racket".
So, "A racket/racquet" only sounds better than with 'is'?
How does "A racket is." sound? or how about "There is a racket (there)."?

I can't imagine an American child spontaneously saying "A racket is." (Spelling is unimportant here, since we're talking about spoken language."

I'd assume the parent asked because he or she couldn't see it clearly. Or saw something unfamilar.
That's my tennis racket.
That's my science project.
Looks like maybe the cat threw up.

Well, there's a tennis racket, a book, and ... oh, looks like the cat threw up. You probably meant that. I'll clean it up.*

* This last part is mostly parently fantasy, but I can still dream.

I can't imagine an American child spontaneously saying "A racket is." (Spelling is unimportant here, since we're talking about spoken language."

I would say the same about BrE.

Thank you as always. Very interesting.
I can learn actual English from your examples. It is very interesting to know the difference from the school-grammar pattern practice and actual daily conversation expressions.

Thanks. I guess you are demonstrating how one word response is actually used and sounds natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back