Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I was wondering and discussed with my friends whether there should be a question mark '?' or an exclamation mark '!' or simply a full stop '.' after it is written HOW DO YOU DO ? ! . Please help.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The thing is this: nobody says "how do you do" nowadays. Perhaps if you were invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party the Queen might ask "How do you do?" or you might ask her the same. Short of that, the expression is purely archaic. Probably a question mark is a good idea, but in the actual circumstances it really does not matter.

MySunEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A question mark. Even though the speaker might not be looking for an answer (as part of a rhetorical greeting expression), it is, nevertheless, a question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The thing is this: nobody says "how do you do" nowadays. Perhaps if you were invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party the Queen might ask "How do you do?" or you might ask her the same. Short of that, the expression is purely archaic. Probably a question mark is a good idea, but in the actual circumstances it really does not matter.

It is still used in formal introductions in the UK, and well beyond the world of Buckingham Palace garden parties. I would use a question mark.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is still used in formal introductions in the UK, and well beyond the world of Buckingham Palace garden parties. I would use a question mark.

It is still in use in the USA as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.