Question tag — I wish he were a king ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
hi
This is a new thread in which we will discuss some problematic sentences that need suitable question tags.
The sentence is:

I wish he were a king,..........?
Note:
In the last thread, more than imaginative question tags [part 2], emsr2d2 said, "What do you mean by "in which we are supposed to discuss"? Who requires you to do this? Where did you find the questions? Why haven't you told us what you think?". In response to this, I'd like to say that I meant "be supposed to=should" and I meant nothing else. Also, no one asks me to do this. I am an enthusiastic about English grammar. The questions I am asking are all own thoughts and also my friend's. He is a teacher, a very good one, indeed, but I should also ask natives.

Thanks in advance!
[h=2][/h]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So tell us what you think would be a good question tag for this sentence.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find it very hard to imagine anyone ever adding a question tag to that statement.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I ****ing wish 'e was a ****ing king, dunni?

That's one kind of everyday English which I'm glad isn't part of the American variety. It's fun to listen to as an outsider, though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow, Piscean, when did you become so street?

With regard to the original question, I wouldn't add a question tag to that statement either. There is a grammatically acceptable one but generally we don't encourage learners to learn grammatical but unnatural/unnecessary constructions.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think somebody else has stated this (sorry I forgot who to credit) in a previous thread, but you seem to be missing the point of question tags.

I agree with GoesStation - it seems unnatural to tag this particular sentence.

What is your understanding of the purpose of question tags?

Just because it may be possible to tag a given sentence doesn't necessarily mean it should be tagged.

Edit: cross posted with several comments above.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A mis-spent old age, wonnit?

Or perhaps it should be innit. I become easily confused these days, dunni/innit/eh/wot?

As a patron, rather than practitioner, of the art of English street English, I have to say that I thought innit was the correct tag for any utterance. When I lived in Canada I couldn't help adopting the simpler eh? tag which, lacking any hint of grammatical number or gender, works everywhere.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thank you all for your replies. They are really helpful to me.
So tell us what you think would be a good question tag for this sentence.
I wish he were a king. don't I?
I will clarify my point. I have learned that when we deal with the sentences beginning with "I think/suppose, etc.", we get the question tag from the subordinate clause, then I thought, "What about the sentences beginning with 'I wish'" should we get the question tag from the subordinate clause as usual or what should we do exactly?
That's why I asked this question. Although I know it may seen unnatural, I wanted to know the answer theoretically.
I thought what would prevent us from getting the question tag from the subordinate clause was subject-verb agreement only.
I hope I clarified my point!
We don't normally ask for external confirmation of our own wishes/desires.
I completely agree.
The only natural context that I can think of is one in which the words were uttered by a speaker of informal (dare I say 'sub-standard') English in which every statement appears to be followed by a question tag - with no response expected. Such speakers tend not to use the subjunctive were.
You are right but it also can be used sarcastically, can't it?
An example of such speech might be:
So, like, I'm talking to me mate, inni? And he's like 'If I was a ****ing king, I'd like make sure you was ****ing alright, wouldn't I?' 'E's ****ing alright, me mate, inne? Tell you what - I ****ing wish 'e was a ****ing king, dunni?
To be honest, I can't understand anything from this! :D
With regard to the original question, I wouldn't add a question tag to that statement either. There is a grammatically acceptable one but generally we don't encourage learners to learn grammatical but unnatural/unnecessary constructions.
I know it's better to learn English practically, but we can find a context where tagging such a sentence will be fine. E.g. a sarcastic context.
I wanted to know the suitable question tag for this sentence theoretically. But, of course, your notes are very much useful.
perhaps it should be innit. I become easily confused these days, dunni/innit/eh/wot?
"dunni/innit/wot" is non-standard English, I think.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have learned that when we deal with the sentences beginning with "I think/suppose, etc.", we get the question tag from the subordinate clause, then I thought, "What about the sentences beginning with 'I wish'" should we get the question tag from the subordinate clause as usual or what should we do exactly?

I follow your thinking now.

I would suggest that you're approaching this too "theoretically". You must remember that, as we've pointed out, question tags, like so many other features of language serve a practical purpose. So the form of the tag will depend on its purpose, not on any grammar rule. Don't worry about subordinate clauses, think about what carries the meaning.

You mention utterances starting with I think/I suppose. Consider the following:

• I suppose you're hungry already, aren't you?
  • I suppose you're hungry already, don't I?

Both of these are grammatically (or theoretically) correct, so what do you think are the differences in how they might be used?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks for your very much helpful reply, jutfrank. I really appreciate it.
Consider the following:

• I suppose you're hungry already, aren't you?
  • I suppose you're hungry already, don't I?
Both of these are grammatically (or theoretically) correct, so what do you think are the differences in how they might be used?
To be honest, I think only the first sentence makes sense.
The second one would makes sense if used in some kind of special occasion or context. A sarcastic one for example.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, I agree it's difficult to make any sense of the second one. You would have to get quite creative to find a situation where it would be natural to produce such an utterance (though your suggestion of sarcasm could possibly be one.) Such was the case with your similarly unlikely original example and that is why the members here responded as they did.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks so much for reply. Much appreciated.
Also, thanks you for clarification :)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thank you all for your very much useful post that I highly appreciate.
Now, I got the answer I wanted thanks to you. And, of course, we will be so much happy to hear the opinion anyone who has anything to add
I will post a new sentence in a new thread so I hope you participate in it.
Thanks very much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks so much for reply. Much appreciated.
Also, thanks you for clarification :)

Thanks so much for your reply. Much appreciated.
Also, thank you for the clarification. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]
Please don't use a home-made emoticon to replace a standard punctuation mark.

If you must insert a smiley, click on :) and choose from the selection available.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's OK, or will be when you change the full stop after king to a comma.
I assure you that this wasn't intended at all.
Please don't use a home-made emoticon to replace a standard punctuation mark.
If you must insert a smiley, click on :) and choose from the selection available.
OK, I understand :) and I assure you that "thanks you" was a mistake not intended at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.