Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is off-topic, but I live quite close to "Pennsylvania Dutch" country, a misunderstanding of the word Deutsch, where the Amish live. I assure you, their children go to school. And I would be shocked to hear one say they envy city people, or "the English" as they call us.

I'll never be able to provide you with example, fighting spirit. The things I have learned to admire and respect about the Amish come from things we have in common -- love for our families, compassion for fellow human beings, etc. I think it's an impossible task to find examples of how differences bring us closer together.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is off-topic, but I live quite close to "Pennsylvania Dutch" country, a misunderstanding of the word Deutsch, where the Amish live. I assure you, their children go to school. And I would be shocked to hear one say they envy city people, or "the English" as they call us.
As far as I know, they have their own schools and teach their children by themselves. Am I right? At least that's what I know about one Mennonite community in Yucatán. :) It's probably not entirely true, since the article I quoted says that the students stopped attending high school due to their parents religious beliefs. They must have attended it before then.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, they do have their own schools.

There was a terrible thing a few years ago. A crazy man went to one of the Amish schools and shot several of the children and then shot himself.

My respect for the Amish community was vast. They -- including the parents of the children he killed -- went to his funeral so his wife wouldn't be alone and invited her to stay with them as long as she needed to so she could heal from her own tragedy. What a model of grace and compassion.

Oh well. Off topic. I've just become rather protective of the Amish since that event, when people regard them as a curiosity instead of a robust, mature society.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The Amish probably think the world beyond the boundaries of their community is a jungle. And, frankly speaking, I agree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.