Quick question on ellipsis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiehhrr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Would it be right to say that there is ellpisis in this sentence (am still slightly confused as to how it fully works) :

We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After that, we made an offer on the house.

We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After [we got] that [mortgage], we made an offer on the house.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- I am not an English teacher -----

Would it be right to say that there is ellpisis in this sentence (am still slightly confused as to how it fully works) :

We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After that, we made an offer on the house.

We got a mortgage from the cheapest lender. After [we got] that [mortgage], we made an offer on the house.

I think we usually don't make an offer on a house, I mean, not directly. We make an offer of something related to a house. That is the reason previously (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/120603-there-ellipsis-sentence.html) I suggested something along the lines:

After that, we made a [rent] offer on the house.
After that, we made a [payment] offer on the house.

Or something like that. My English is not that good, so if you help me find the correct word ...

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It's not an ellipsis, because "that" is not 'that mortgage'. "that" refers to 'getting the mortgage'.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
----- I am not an English teacher -----

I think we usually don't make an offer on a house, ,
Yes, we do. It means an offer to buy the house.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Yes, we do. It means an offer to buy the house.

Yes, 2006. I understand that. But what I was trying to say is that when we make an offer on the house there is something implicit, an offer of something (money or whatever).

Do you claim in sophiehhrr's original example there is no ellipsis at all?

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My suggestion is that there's no ellipsis since "that" is substituting "mortage....".

I'd ask Raymott :-D

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
We got a mortgage from the cheapest [house] lender.
After that, we made a [rent] offer on the house.

What is wrong with these ideas?

After that, we made a [payment] offer for the house.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the process of buying a house, you make an offer to the current owners.

They may or may not accept your offer. You don't make any payments until after you have bought the house -- and there is no house to buy if the current owners don't accept your offer.

You can't actually get a mortgage before you have identified the specific house, but you can be qualified by the lender to have the mortgage. In such a simple example, you don't need these differences.

If you made an offer without first getting qualified, and they accepted your offer, you may find the bank doesn't think you are good credit risks and not loan you the money. Now you have made a contract to buy a house that you cannot pay for.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
In the process of buying a house, you make an offer to the current owners.

They may or may not accept your offer. You don't make any payments until after you have bought the house -- and there is no house to buy if the current owners don't accept your offer.

You can't actually get a mortgage before you have identified the specific house, but you can be qualified by the lender to have the mortgage. In such a simple example, you don't need these differences.

If you made an offer without first getting qualified, and they accepted your offer, you may find the bank doesn't think you are good credit risks and not loan you the money. Now you have made a contract to buy a house that you cannot pay for.

Thanks Barb_D, things get clearer now.
So the 'lender' is the bank or the institution who is going to lend you the money, right? So my suggestion below is clearly incorrect
We got a mortgage from the cheapest [house] lender.

And now I reckon the house is being sold, not rented. So I change my suggestion to:

We got a mortgage from the cheapest [mortgage] lender.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, or we got the cheapest mortgage we could find.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Last edited:
Status