Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Taking an English test for Iranian universities, I came across this sentence whose source is not clear for me. I think that “Rather than” should be followed by a bare infinitive verb (infinitive without to) or an ing form. However the test says that #2 is correct. What do you think?

In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than ______.

1) obeying the demands made by reasoning
2) to obey the demands of reason

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your reasoning should lead you to choose the first one.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your reasoning should lead you to choose the first one.
Sorry it was a typo. I just corrected it.
My reasoning leads me to #1, however, the answer key is #2.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think #2 is better, for the parallelism with the verb to follow.

the Cambridge dictionary website clearly states that using “to infinitive” after “rather than” is incorrect. I just don’t know who I should follow.

Rather than usually occurs between two things which are being compared. However, we can also use it at the beginning of a sentence. When we use rather than with a verb, we use the base form or (less commonly) the -ing form of a verb:

Rather than pay the taxi fare, he walked home.(or Rather than paying the taxi fare, he walked home.)
Not: Rather than to pay …

By the way, would you tell me which one is correct?

1) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than to obey the demands of reason.

2) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than obeying the demands of reason.

3) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than obey the demands of reason.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
the Cambridge dictionary website clearly states that using “to infinitive” after “rather than” is incorrect. I just don’t know who I should follow.

That's really up to you to decide.

Can you show us where Cambridge clearly states that?

1) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than to obey the demands of reason.

2) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than obeying the demands of reason.

3) In the intellect, evil is expressed in the sin of pride, and in the will, there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than obey the demands of reason.

They're all fine. I think the first one is better, for parallelism reasons.

... there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than to obey the demands of reason.

Can you see that the two compared verbs are in the same to-infinitive form? That's what I mean by 'parallel'.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's really up to you to decide.

Can you show us where Cambridge clearly states that?

They're all fine. I think the first one is better, for parallelism reasons.

... there is the inclination to follow that which is pleasant at the moment rather than to obey the demands of reason.

Can you see that the two compared verbs are in the same to-infinitive form? That's what I mean by 'parallel'.
Well, it’s a bit hard for me to reply as I’m using a smartphone. Look at the explanation below, especially where the bare infinitive part is mentioned, and the example that follows it.

Rather than usually occurs between two things which are being compared. However, we can also use it at the beginning of a sentence. When we use rather than with a verb, we use the base form or (less commonly) the -ingform of a verb:

Rather than pay the taxi fare, he walked home.(or Rather than paying the taxi fare, he walked home.)

I thought that the two other options are grammatically wrong, however it seems that it’s just about the taste of betterment.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Flogger I think you mean it's a matter of taste. (Or style.)

You don't seem to have a question in that one.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When we use rather than with a verb, we use the base form or (less commonly) the -ingform of a verb:

I thought that the two other options are grammatically wrong, however it seems that it’s just about the taste of betterment.

No, they're not necessarily wrong. In fact, the to-infinitive form is basically the same as the base form (v1), but with an extra 'to'.

In your example, I prefer to use the extra 'to' since it's already been used with the preceding verb to follow. The sentence is also okay without to, but it reads a bit more clearly with the 'to' repeated.