Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The problem with that idea is that many of the 'little' words in English, the prepositions and particles have in themselves no ''meaning.

On the contrary for example, is used introduce a statement that says the opposite of the last one (definition). The word on means nothing in itself -it functions as part of a three-word expression.

jutfrank has done his best in this thread to explain how to is used in your sentence. jutfrank chooses his words carefully. Try to understand those words rather than offering alternatives.

What's the reason "offering" was used there instead of "to offer"?

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Quoted from Practical English Usage by Michael Swan, 3rd edition:
491.1 rather than
When the main clause has a to-infinitive, rather than is usually followed by an infinitive without to or an -ing form.
I decided to write rather than phone/phoning.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm reluctant to answer on Piscean's behalf but I'd like to offer my understanding of why he may have selected to present a continuous aspect in this case.

If my guess is right, the thought could be expanded in this way:

Try to understand those words rather than [do what you're currently doing, which is] offering alternatives.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm reluctant to answer on Piscean's behalf but I'd like to offer my understanding of why he may have selected to present a continuous aspect in this case.

If my guess is right, the thought could be expanded in this way:

Try to understand those words rather than [do what you're currently doing, which is] offering alternatives.
I'd also appreciate it if you would let me know what "present" means in that context.
It seems to me that it comes close to meaning "use, express". However, I'm not certain.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for your advice.
I have already consulted some dictionaries but have found that the definition given there somehow doesn’t seem to work with the context in which I have seen the word.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The problem with that idea is that many of the 'little' words in English, the prepositions and particles have in themselves no ''meaning.

On the contrary for example, is used introduce a statement that says the opposite of the last one (definition). The word on means nothing in itself -it functions as part of a three-word expression.

jutfrank has done his best in this thread to explain how to is used in your sentence. jutfrank chooses his words carefully. Try to understand those words rather than offering alternatives.

His writings are good, so I'm studying them.
Does "the prepositions and particles" refer back to "many of the 'little' words in English" or does it refer back to "the 'little' words in English"?

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
The prepositions and particles refers back to the 'little' words in English.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

What's the reason "the" was used there?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Am I the only person who thinks there's something wrong with the original? I would have expected one of the following:

1. The problem with that idea is that, like many of the 'little' words in English, prepositions and particles have, in themselves, no meaning.
2. The problem with that idea is that many of the 'little' words in English, such as the prepositions and particles, have, in themselves, no meaning.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
would have expected one of the following:
1. The problem with that idea is that, like many of the 'little' words in English, prepositions and particles have, in themselves, no meaning.
2. The problem with that idea is that many of the 'little' words in English, such as the prepositions and particles, have, in themselves, no meaning.
No to both for me, though they are both possible.

I intended the 'little' words to mean prepositions and particles. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had used a comma after particles.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had used a comma after particles.
Ahhh, yes! That comma would have cleared it all up for me. (Also, apologies - I thought that sentence was by GoldfishLord. I hadn't clocked that it was in a quote box in post #1.)

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What's the role of "the"?