Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

At this minute the father of the family walked in, rattling his seals like a true British merchant.

rattling = clanking

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

At this minute the father of the family walked in, rattling his seals like a true British merchant.

rattling = clanking

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

*** Not a teacher***
Is this translation from Russian? Sorry, I cannot get the sence of "seals" in this context.

Last edited:

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Jack8rkin,

In my humble opinion the most probable meaning of the term in question is the classical one.

seal = a device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents

I assume that the merchants in the mentioned old times was carrying their seals hooked on their belts. So they were something like mobile offices.

Regards,

V.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Rattling does equal clanking, though rattling means a higher pitch and a higher frequency. For example, change in your pocket might rattle, but two swords in a swordfight might clank very second or two.

I remember as a kid in Germany buying 90 minute blank cassettes that boasted of "kristallklarischeklange"!!! Thanks for reminding me of that.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.