Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
RE: Song Title Punctuation

(Moderators - please feel free to relocate.)

Hi folks,

I am (as some of you may be aware) a musician and am currently compiling my own library of music to rehearse/perform with my own ensemble. I have transcribed a piece of music composed by jazz pianist Chick Corea (in 1972) whilst his band ('Return To Forever') was touring Europe (West Germany on this particular occasion). However, the song has not been given a title! And so I wanted to assign my own name to it (otherwise it's going to be quite odd trying to announce a song, to an audience, calling it "nothing"!). Because 'Return To Forever' was, and Chick Corea still remains, a devout follower of L. Ron Hubbard, I would like to apply a name which is, in some way, related to (the religion) Scientology. (Please see link and screenshot below.)

I came up with this idea; but I am unsure of the correct way to express it:

Xenu - Galactic Confederacy

Xenu, Galactic Confederacy

Xenu: Galactic Confederacy

As you can see, my options are a hyphen, comma, or semicolon. I don't think there are any other possibilities, however, I may be wrong.

What I am trying to achieve is something along the lines of what is often applied to significant members of our world, such as:

Trump - US President:

Nicole Kidman, Academy Award winning Actress

Muhammad Ali: World Heavyweight Boxing Champion

Perhaps not the finest of examples but I am sure will be able to read between the lines and get the gist of what I am asking.

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Xenu.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Song Title Punctuation

I would use Xenu - Galactic Confederacy. The other two don't look like song titles to me.

It's not your prerogative to give a title to another composer's work. I think you have to call it "Untitled 1972 Composition". You can then give it a sort of nickname, for convenience, as long as you make it clear that it's your own attribution.

But to answer your broader question, song titles generally have quotation marks around them. Album titles generally are in italics.

Last edited:

It's not your prerogative to give a title to another composer's work. I think you have to call it "Untitled 1972 Composition". You can then give it a sort of nickname, for convenience, as long as you make it clear that it's your own attribution.

Well I would inform the audience that the piece was originally untitled (by way of some form of anecdote). That goes without saying (hence I did not state this in my opening post).

If I was to call it "Untitled 1972 Composition" then what about the naming process of any other 'untitled' originals? Perhaps not so much with Chick Corea, but (trumpeter) Miles Davis must had recorded/performed circa 100 unknown pieces during the very early 1970's alone! Therefore, following your logic, you would have to call them:

"Untitled 1972 Composition #01", "Untitled 1972 Composition #02", "Untitled 1972 Composition #03"...

or,
"Untitled March 1972 Composition", "Untitled April 1972 Composition"

Both versions are far too cumbersome and uninspiring, in my opinion.

Well put!

My favorite exception: I used to go to Grateful Dead shows. People would yell out requests, and half the time the band didn't know what songs they were asking for, because someone else in the publishing food chain had named them.

But to answer your broader question, song titles should have quotation marks around them. Album titles should be in italics.

I, and most professional arrangers/copyists, no longer use quotations (please see below screenshot of my own work). They seem to be a thing of the past, in my recent experience. Perhaps this is related to the digital-age (I mean, very few musicians write out 'parts' by-hand anymore). Everyone nowadays uses computer software to generate their 'parts'.

Frog.jpgFrog.jpg

Last edited:

I would use Xenu - Galactic Confederacy. The other two don't look like song titles to me.

OK, awesome! I'll go with your kind suggestion. THANKS.

I, and most professional arrangers/copyists, no longer use quotations (please see below screenshot of my own work). They seem to be a thing of the past, in my recent experience. Perhaps this is related to the digital-age (I mean, very few musicians write out 'parts' by-hand anymore). Everyone nowadays uses computer software to generate their 'parts'.
Here we advise on written and spoken English. I have no advice on industry jargon or digital shorthand, like textspeak and tweetish. That's why I went straight to your broader question.

That means I'm only talking about narrative writing. If you're writing, say, a music review, liner notes, or a letter or email to someone, the practice hasn't changed.

It's not just about songs. Short pieces, including articles, essays, short stories, and individual songs, have quotation marks. Long works, including albums, books, magazines, plays, and movies, are in italics.

If you Google song titles quotation marks, you'll see.

PS - We know Miles Davis played trumpet!

Last edited:

I didn't.:oops:

Hence I provided the nugget of information in parentheses. I am sure many other forum members are unfamiliar with the genre of jazz.

PS - We know Miles Davis played trumpet!

I did not mean to sound condescending. I was simply sparing any forum members, who may be unfamiliar with this particular artist, a Google search.

Hi folks,

Having recently watched (for the umpteenth time!) Kubrick's '2001 - A Space Odyssey', I have decided to name the (untitled) Chick Corea song 'Moon-Watcher' (after the alpha-man ape in the opening scene of the movie) instead of 'Xenu - Galactic Confederacy'. Albeit not directly related to 'Scientology', I feel the new title is still fitting.

Incidentally, 'Moon-Watcher' is also referenced as 'Moonwatcher'.

I hope L. Ron. Hubbard does not disapprove of my actions! :shock:

Paul

Last edited:

I hope L. Ron. Hubbard does not disapprove of my actions! :shock:

I wouldn't worry about what a dead nutcase thinks of your actions.

I wouldn't worry about what a dead nutcase thinks of your actions.

Is he really dead though? I believe there is a conspiracy...

Is he really dead though? I believe there is a conspiracy...
We're here to discuss English, not religion or conspiracies. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back