Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi there

I am filling out a job application and the job description says: "We need you to have excellent communication skills, Very well presentable, with a Bubbly personality and bit sensuous and ability to interact well with people." What do they mean by sensuous?

Many thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would run away from a job description like that.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there

I am filling out a job application and the job description says: "We need you to have excellent communication skills, Very well presentable, with a Bubbly personality and bit sensuous and ability to interact well with people." What do they mean by sensuous?

Many thanks

Ditto Barb_D's response and use your dictionary.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi there

Many thanks
If you are a woman (and I can't imagine them making that a requirement for men), it means they expect you to flirt and to open one or two more top buttons of your blouse, wear short skirts etc.
I would also run, but they wouldn't take me anyway! Who knows, you might enjoy it. But I thought it was illegal to write job ads like that?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi there

Many thanks

I don't know what the job is, but presentable + bubble + sensuous sounds like they're looking for an attractive person to be a bit flirty/sexy with people. The English is bad - very well presentable - is incorrect and there's a lot of emphasis on appearance and not in a very pleasant way.

I think Barb_D's advice is good. This doesn't sound good. I'd interpret sensuous as meaning wearing revealing clothes and things like that. It sounds rather exploitative to me. One dictionary defines sensuous as giving or expressing pleasure through the physical senses, rather than pleasing the mind or the intelligence. Any job looking for that sounds dodgy to me.

sensuous adjective - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But I thought it was illegal to write job ads like that?

It could be- I think they're trying to get round the laws by using sensuous rather than saying something like sexy, and they are trying to soften it with a little bit. They're probably not the sharpest of minds and their English is poor.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It could be- I think they're trying to get round the laws by using sensuous rather than saying something like sexy, and they are trying to soften it with a little bit. They're probably not the sharpest of minds and their English is poor.
Of course, I don't know about England, but it would raise eyebrows in Australia - even if it wasn't strictly illegal.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't know who published it or where the ad was, but it triggers alarm bells and I'm sure it wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you so much! The job ad is for a marketing position. I read it and wondered if they needed me to flirt, but then thought "No, surely they can't mean that. I must be interpreting the word 'sensuous' in the wrong way!" I don't think I'll be applying for the job....

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much! The job ad is for a marketing position. I read it and wondered if they needed me to flirt, but then thought "No, surely they can't mean that. I must be interpreting the word 'sensuous' in the wrong way!" I don't think I'll be applying for the job....

Just one more comment, from my standpoint I would interpret "sensuous" in only one way and I would be suspicious as to what they are "marketing".

Status
Not open for further replies.