[Grammar] Regarding article "a" and "the".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence: It is good to know the media have given space to the/a bench of XYZ (company) tax dispute case this time. In the past, only few news media have given the space to the/a bench of ABZ and PPP merger case.

Question: I keep seeing in news papers and on the Internet that the people using the article "a" and "the" before the word bench. I have seen them using "the" and "a" even when they are mentioning the Justice's name. Like for example: "the bench of Justice JJ..", "a bench of ZZ.." Therefore, I'm confused. So tell me the use of which article will be correct here - "a" or "the"?

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have only heard "the bench" used to refer to the area presided over by a judge/justice.

As in the phrase "may I approach the bench?"

approach the bench legal definition of approach the bench. approach the bench synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

I am not sure why you are referring to the "bench" of a particular case. Or how the media would give "space" to the "bench." This is not AmE.

In any event, there is only one bench associated with any given judge, so it would be "the" bench.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Bench', with or without an article means nothing to me in that sentence. It may be commonly used in this way in Sri Lankan English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a usage I have seen before. I would use XYZ tax dispute case.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain

Sorry for my incomprehension. Could you tell me how this relate to my original question, which was in-brief about the usage of articles before the word "bench" ? I really did not get what you were trying to tell there. :)

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This appears to be used only in India. And used with the definite article. That should answer your question.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Concerning your link: "a bench of" - Google Search
There are some references to the use of "bench" in a sporting context. Many sports allow the substitution of players on the field/court with players waiting on the sideline. The players waiting to be sent onto the field or court are often said to be "on the bench" because they usually sit on an "interchange bench".
If a team has very good players waiting to be sent on they are often said to have "a strong bench". On the other hand, they might have a bench that lacks experience, or a bench that's depleted by injuries.

not a teacher

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Ok guys thanks for help and time. Appreciate it. I will inform the forum if I found any satisfying reply in another English forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.