Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
This is just a general question to know whether parentheses comma can be used "when" multiple comma are following it. Like this for example : "He has ripped apart, the most biased, the most immoral, the most corrupt, government organization".

Here in the example the parentheses comma has been used after the word "apart" and ends after the word "corrupt". So essentially we have put "most biased, most immoral, most corrupt" under the parentheses. This is just an example. My question is can parenthesis be used in this way? Can multiple commas follow parenthesis like in my example? Please help.

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
This is just a general question to know whether parentheses comma can be used "when" multiple comma are following it. Like this for example : "He has ripped apart, the most biased, the most immoral, the most corrupt, government organization".

Here in the example the parentheses comma has been used after the word "apart" and the parenthesis ends after the word "corrupt". So essentially we have put "most biased, most immoral, most corrupt" under the parentheses. This is just an example. My question is can parenthesis be used in this way? Can multiple commas follow parenthesis like in my example? Please help.

Thanks and regards
If you take your parenthesis out, you don't have a proper sentence:
"He has ripped apart government organization".
So, it's not a parenthesis.

In theory, as I'm sure you'll find out, sooner or later, commas can occur within a parenthetical element.

Thanks a ton for your reply. Are you saying I've used the parentheses correctly?

Last edited:
Omit the first comma and it's correct.

Rover

Thanks Rover for your comment. But then it will not remain the parenthesis if I omit the comma :) ! I want to know what the VIP member was implying by "if you take your parenthesis out, you don't have a proper sentence..in theory, as I'm sure you'll find out, sooner or later, commas can occur within a parenthetical element"

Isn't it the opposite of what he said?! :) Was he connoting that I have used the parenthesis rightly?

Regards

I'm saying your use is wrong.
"most biased, most immoral, most corrupt" does not fit the definition of a parenthetical phrase. If a phrase is parenthetical, you can remove it and still have a sentence. I removed this phrase, and demonstrated that you are not left with a proper sentence.
Putting a phrase between two commas doesn't make it parenthetical if you can't removed the phrase and the commas and still have a sentence.

I then tell you that it is possible to use commas within a parenthetical phrase; and the sentence in which I tell you this illustrates the fact.

Got the point. Thanks a million.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back