Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

How does the meaning of ''relation'' change in plural?

If I understand correctly: ''Relation'' can be used in plural to refer to ''relationships''. ''Foreing relations''.
Or ''relatives''. ''Countable a person who is in the same family as somebody else, relative''. ''My relations/relatives.''
But
''[uncountable, countable]the way in which two or more things are connected.'' In this meaning ''relation'' can be used in plural.'' Right?

• relation between A and B the relation between rainfall and crop yields.
  • relation to somethingthe relation of the farmer to the land.

The examples are from this online ditcionary.
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ion?q=relation
The words are taken from Use of English by Virginia Evans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

How does the meaning of ''relation'' change in plural?

If I understand correctly, relation can be used in plural to refer to relationships, foreign relations, relatives'', or [countable] a person who is in the same family as somebody else, a relative: my relations/relatives.

Yes.

But
''[uncountable, countable] The way in which two or more things are connected.'' In this meaning ''relation'' can be used in plural.'' Right?

• relation between A and B: the relation between rainfall and crop yields.
  • relation to something: the relation of the farmer to the land.

No. That's why the examples are singular. Each is an example of one relationship.

The examples are from this online dictionary. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...ion?q=relation
The words are taken from Use of English by Virginia Evans.
Use quotation marks for quotations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Use quotation marks for quotations.

If it cannot be used in singular, why does the dictionary say "countable/uncountable"? In another example would it be possible to use "relations" in plural in this meaning? "The relations between rainfalls and crop yields."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it cannot be used in singular, why does the dictionary say "countable/uncountable"?

I don't know.

In another example would it be possible to use "relations" in plural in this meaning? "The relation[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] between rainfalls and crop yields."

Not in that one. Get rid of the s.
We talk about relations between people or between nations: Their relations have been rocky.

When you're talking about the effect things have on each other, like rain and crops, use relationship or relation.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE we refer to our extended family as our relatives. We never use relations in such contexts. But I believe in BrE you can call your extended family your relations.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If it cannot be used in singular, why does the dictionary say "countable/uncountable"? In another example would it be possible to use "relations" in plural in this meaning? "The relations between rainfalls and crop yields."

It's hard to think of a reason one might need the plural there, but even if there is only one relationship between rainfall and yield, using the plural is a very small error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.