Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Suppose A and B are friends and B has only one brother.

During a conversation between A and B:

1) A: you know, yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, buying some stuff for his children. (with a comma before "buying")

Can I write 1) as:

2) yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, who was buying some stuff for his children. (a non-defining relative clause)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You do not need the comma in #1.

#2 is not correct. It identifies the brother as the one buying stuff for his children.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

During a conversation between A and B:

1) A: You know, yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, buying some stuff for his children. (with a comma before "buying")

Can I write 1) as:

2) Yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, who was buying some stuff for his children. (a non-defining relative clause)
Keep all three commas.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
#2 is not correct. It identifies the brother as the one buying stuff for his children.

So does sentence 1. The brother is the one buying stuff for his children!

NAL123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Now I know sentence 2) is possible. But does it sound natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now I know sentence 2) is possible. But does it sound natural?
I can't say whether it's grammatical. But brother and who are too far apart to connect well. These would be clearer and therefore more natural:

- Yesterday I met your brother, who was buying some stuff for his children at the supermarket.

- At the supermarket yesterday I met your brother, who was buying some stuff for his children.

- Yesterday at the supermarket I met your brother, who was buying some stuff for his children.

You can also get rid of who altogether:

- Yesterday I met your brother. He was buying some stuff for his children at the supermarket.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
So does sentence 1. The brother is the one buying stuff for his children!

I thought "who" highlights that unnecessarily when it is not the main point.

PaulMatthews

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

During a conversation between A and B: 1) A: you know, yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, buying some stuff for his children. (with a comma before "buying")

Can I write 1) as: 2) yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, who was buying some stuff for his children. (a non-defining relative clause)

Preliminary point: Unlike defining relative clauses, non-defining ones don't modify and combine with their antecedent to form larger nominals. They have a semantic 'anchor' that they refer to, which is identical to the antecedent.

[1] Yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, buying some stuff for his children.

[2] Yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, who was buying some stuff for his children.

[1] is fine. The underlined clause is a depictive adjunct, giving descriptive information about "your brother". I would leave the comma in.

[2] is acceptable. Postposing of relative clauses is normally only possible with the defining type, but this is a non-defining relative and hence it is only marginally acceptable.

The concern in general with postposed relatives is that there can be confusion as to what was the antecedent. In [2] a reader might momentarily think that the antecedent is "the supermarket", and then realise that it can only be "your brother".

NAL123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[1] Yesterday I met your brother at the supermarket, buying some stuff for his children.

[1] is fine. The underlined clause is a depictive adjunct, giving descriptive information about "your brother". I would leave the comma in.
Consider this sentence, please:

[3] John is an American dancer and choreographer, specializing in contemporary dance. (I think the underlined clause here is also a depictive adjunct, giving descriptive information about "John")

Now, from a rational point of view, it is clear that the subject of the participle clause in [1] can only be "your brother" and NOT "I". But from a grammatical point of view, how do we know what the subject of the participle clause in [1] is, because, if we observe sentence [3], here, it is "John" (NOT "an American dancer and choreographer") that is functioning as the subject of the participle clause?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But from a grammatical point of view, how do we know what the subject of the participle clause in [1] is, because, if we observe sentence [3], here, it is "John" (NOT "an American dancer and choreographer") that is functioning as the subject of the participle clause?
Because we're human beings who can consider the possibilities and choose the one that makes sense. Translation software lacks that ability and gets this kind of relationship wrong as often as not.

Status
Not open for further replies.