relative pronouns and apposition - ''The chef's specialty is mushroom soup, a dish which he is famous for''

jasokav69

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
''The chef's specialty is mushroom soup, a dish which he is famous for''

If we remove the relative pronoun, it would be an appositive. If we remove ''a dish'' it would be a relative pronoun.

So grammatically speaking, if we have both, which one is it. A relative clause or an apposition. How would we explain this to someone?

Thanks!

Jason

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The chef's specialty is mushroom soup, a dish which he is famous for."

If we remove the relative pronoun, it would be an appositive. If we remove "a dish", it would be a relative pronoun.

So grammatically speaking, if we have both, which one is it - a relative clause or an apposition? How would we explain this to someone?

Thanks! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.

Jason Unnecessary. We go by usernames here.
Please note my markups above. I suspect you're using a Spanish keyboard because you used two apostrophes instead of quotation marks. Please find the shortcut to using proper quotation marks so that learners on the site see correct English punctuation in your posts.

When you say "Which one is it?", what does "it" refer to? Initially, I thought you meant "a dish which he is famous for" but that can't be the case because you've suggested removing either "which" or "a dish". Whichever one you remove, you're not left with "a dish which he is famous for".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@jasokav69,

I know that you're a new member, but in future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)