Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "this religion is not correct" sound natural? Can I use "...but I think that for many reasons this religion is wrong in many ways?"

"I was born in a Christian country, but I think that for many reasons this religion is not correct."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. Religion –like politics – is too broad a concept to be labelled correct or incorrect.
Is the second version correct?

"I was born in a Christian country, but I think that this religion is wrong in many ways."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, a religion can't be described sweepingly as wrong either. We recommend steering clear of sweeping generalisations about religion.
A diplomatic version might be something like "I was born in a predominantly Christian country, but there are some aspects of Christianity that I consider to be flawed".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
[/
No, a religion can't be described sweepingly as wrong either. We recommend steering clear of sweeping generalisations about religion.

There is one thing that all religions have in common. They all claim that they and they alone are true and correct, and all other religions are false. I've always thought that claim was the principal defining characteristic of a religion.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the second version correct?

"I was born in a Christian country, but I think that this religion is wrong in many ways."

I don't see any grammatical issues with this statement. In fact, you often hear people of one particular religion describing another religion as 'wrong'. It may be a broad generalization, but it's still (unfortunately) a natural utterance.

Heck, you even hear various denominations of the same religion asserting that other denominations are 'wrong' in their beliefs about X!

My qualm is that it's not 100% clear that it's Christianity (or whichever religion) you believe is wrong with 'this religion". In context, if you were only discussing Christianity, than it might be clearer.

Perhaps something like "Even though I was born in a Christian country, I still think Christianity is wrong in many ways."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are you talking from a perspective of no faith or a preference for another faith? (Please remember to keep the discussion to language rather than which religion is better than another)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are you talking from a perspective of no faith or a preference for another faith? (Please remember to keep the discussion to language rather than which religion is better than another)
I am not talking about which religion is better. I am interested if my sentence is grammatically correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not talking about which religion is better. I am interested if my sentence is grammatically correct.
We can't answer that question without knowing whether you're saying as a Christian that you think there are some things wrong with Christianity, or if you're saying it as a non-Christian.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's OK, though I don't think that assessing a religion is confined to those who were born in a country where the religion is practised.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
We can't answer that question without knowing whether you're saying as a Christian that you think there are some things wrong with Christianity, or if you're saying it as a non-Christian.
I am Christian.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So, are you are saying there are problems with your religion or that it is simply wrong on everything?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
So, are you are saying there are problems with your religion or that it is simply wrong on everything?

It's definitely wrong on most things.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still think (and as others have also commented), that you need to clarify whether your opinion on the "wrongness" of such-and-such religion is from the prospective of a member of that faith, or an outside observer.

Since you said it's a case of the former, then perhaps something like this:
Even as a Christian/Muslim/Buddhist myself, I think that there are things wrong about Christianity/Islam/Buddism."

You could also say something like "I disagree with aspects of Christianity/Islam/Buddhism even though I am Christian/Muslim/Buddhist .

If you want to add a quantifier, you could add 'a few/some/many' in front of 'aspects' or 'things'.

Status
Not open for further replies.