Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the following writing sound natural in English? I got one "dare not let anyone know me as an "authority". "Don't support him." - It should have been "dare not let anyone know me as an "authority" who doesn't support him..
"
The fight between Rao Yi and Pei Gang was actually a year ago. First, Rao Yi was reported to have false papers. I proved that those papers were false but not Rao Yi's work. He took my article as an authoritative basis and handed it to the investigation team. Rao Yi suspected that Pei Gang reported him, and in turn reported that Pei Gang’s thesis was falsified. I also analyzed that Rao Yi’s report was unreasonable. This time he pretended that I didn’t exist anymore, and he dare not let anyone know me as an "authority". "Don't support him.

Source: Twitter

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it's understandable. No, it doesn't mean what you say.
The ending means "This time Rao Yi pretended that .... Don't support Rao Yi.

You (the I of the text) are saying not to support Rao Yi.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is not a very natural text.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence with the bold text means that someone reported to somebody that Rao Yi's citizenship or residence documents were forged.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The sentence with the bold text means that someone reported to somebody that Rao Yi's citizenship or residence documents were forged.

The original Chinese text (I've posted the text below but have it whitened to make it invisible) means "Rao Yi was reported that in some of his published scientific papers he has committed plagiarising or fabricating data, nothing about his citizenship or residence documents." So is it mistranslated?

饶毅与裴钢的打架其实是一年前的事。先是饶毅被人举报论文造假,我证明了那些论文有假但不是饶毅干的,他把我的文章当成权威依据交给调查组。饶毅怀疑是裴钢举报他,反过来举报裴钢论文造假,我也分析了饶毅的举报没道理,这回他就假装我不存在了,到现在也不敢让人知道我这个“权威”不支持他。

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, it's understandable. No, it doesn't mean what you say.
The ending means "This time Rao Yi pretended that .... Don't support Rao Yi.

You (the I of the text) are saying not to support Rao Yi.

Sorry I don't understand you. What does the phrase "that .... Don't support Rao Yi" mean? Who "Don't support Rao Yi? The original Chinese is 我也分析了饶毅的举报没道理,这回他就假装我不存在了,到现在也不敢让人知道我这个“权威”不支持他。
You can put it into Microsoft Translator, the result is:
I also analyzed Rao Yi's report is not reasonable, this time he pretended that I do not exist, and now dare not let people know that I this "authority" does not support him

The translation is basically correct and I've decided not to modify it. See it yourself. It does mean what I said in the OP.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The original Chinese text (I've posted the text below but have it whitened to make it invisible) means "Rao Yi was reported that in some of his published scientific papers he has committed plagiarising or fabricating data, nothing about his citizenship or residence documents." So is it mistranslated?
"False papers" means forged identity documents. I don't see where that fits.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also analyzed Rao Yi's report is not reasonable, this time he pretended that I do not exist, and now dare not let people know that I this "authority" does not support him

The translation is basically correct and I've decided not to modify it. See it yourself. It does mean what I said in the OP.
I'm guessing you mean "the translation in post #1". The sentence "First, Rao Yi was reported to have false papers" isn't correct according to MS Translator or your later translation because neither of them mention forged identity documents.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's just another example of how translation software isn't all that reliable. The confusion stems from how the original Chinese term gets translated into "false papers", which to native English speakers means fake or falsified identity documents, not the falsified academic research papers which the accusations are actually about.

In English, we wouldn't refer to flawed academic papers as 'false papers'. It's difficult to suggest an alternative, because I'm still unclear what the perceived problem was with the papers, since the author states that Rao Yi's work itself was okay. Apparently it was just something in the way the results were published?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are once again presuming to tell native English speakers that you know the language better than we do. If that's the case, you don't need our help. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.