Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Trends constantly suggest new opportunities for individuals to restage themselves, representing occasions for change. To understand how trends can ultimately give individuals power and freedom, one must first discuss fashion’s importance as a basis for change. The most common explanation offered by my informants as to why fashion is so appealing is that it constitutes a kind of theatrical costumery. Clothes are part of how people present them to the world, and fashion locates themselves in the present, relative to what is happening in society and to fashion’s own history.

Source:
The Trendmakers: Behind the Scenes of the Global Fashion Industry by Jenny Lantz

1. Do trends represent occasions for change or do new opportunities represent occasions for change?
2. Is "a kind of" used with the meaning of "approximately"?

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Do trends represent occasions for change or do new opportunities represent occasions for change?
You can read it as both. The writer's saying trends provide new opportunities.

It means "a form of" or "a type of". You can't have something being approximately a certain object. "Approximately" is usually used with reference to quantities.
It's approximately a kilometre away. (It's about a kilometre away, maybe a little more or less.)

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How about this?
Does "it constitutes a kind of theatrical costumery" mean "fashion constitutes roughly theatrical costumery"

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Did you read post #2?
It means "a form of" or "a type of".
Fashion makes people feel good about dressing up and about how they present themselves to others, and in that sense it can be compared to theatrical costumery, where you dress to make a certain impression or effect on the audience.

mean "fashion constitutes roughly theatrical costumery"
Do you understand the meaning of "theatrical costumery"?
"Roughly" means "more or less the same as". You are asking if fashion in general is the same as theatrical costumery. Do you think it is?

That's why I keep suggesting that you ask about the meaning of a sentence, rather than one or two words here and there.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Verona04's explanation in post #4 of that WRF thread explains it in detail. She's broken it down phrase by phrase. And you've thanked her, suggesting she's answered your question.

Which part of it exactly didn't you understand? If you didn't follow her explanation maybe you should ask her to explain it in a different way, or start a new thread here explaining that you want another answer.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In post #2 of that WRF thread, I couldn't understand how the whole sentence means that.
In post #4 of that WRF thread, I did understand it.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's my understanding:

1. Do trends represent occasions for change or do new opportunities represent occasions for change?

1. Trends
2. Basically, yes. It's not exactly theatrical costumery (because it's not related to theatre), but it's similar in an essential way.

(Regarding the question from the other forum: I'm not sure verona04 has interpreted the cat sentence correctly. I think by mine likely means 'outside my house'.)

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I think by mine likely means 'outside my house'.)
Is "by mine" commonly used in BE to mean that? My impression was the same as Verona04.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is "by mine" commonly used in BE to mean that? My impression was the same as Verona04.

It's extremely common to use 'mine' to mean 'my house' but as a phrase, 'by mine' is not particularly common.

From the context, it seems that the woman is saying where the cat is, so I think 'outside my house' makes more sense than 'next to my cat'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My impression was the same as Verona04.
As was mine.

However, we need to drop that point. We are not discussing a different point from another site in this forum.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"By mine" works for me in certain contexts.

Jane: Shall we meet up and go into town together on Saturday evening?
Dave: Good idea. Shall we meet by mine at 8 and head in on the bus? (They'll meet outside or very close to outside Dave's house/front door/front garden.)

Other prepositions are possible in similar contexts:
I'll meet you outside yours at 6. Don't be late! (Self-explanatory.)
We're going to get together behind mine and rehearse. (They'll probably meet in the back garden.)

Sorry - I just saw that we were meant to be dropping that point!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 You have just illustrated how important context is -- a point Barque and I seem to be failing to make.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Trends constantly suggest new opportunities for individuals to restage themselves, representing occasions for change. To understand how trends can ultimately give individuals power and freedom, one must first discuss fashion’s importance as a basis for change. The most common explanation offered by my informants as to why fashion is so appealing is that it constitutes a kind of theatrical costumery. Clothes are part of how people present them to the world, and fashion locates them in the present, relative to what is happening in society and to fashion’s own history. As a form of expression, fashion contains a host of ambiguities, enabling individuals to recreate the meanings associated with specific pieces of clothing. Fashion is among the simplest and cheapest methods of self-expression: clothes can be inexpensively purchased while making it easy to convey notions of wealth, intellectual stature, relaxation or environmental consciousness, even if none of these is true. Fashion can also strengthen agency in various ways, opening up space for action.

Which opens up space for action, fashion or agency? I'm not sure.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The strengthening of agency opens up space for action.

I'm not sure what the writer means by "agency" there.

Last edited: