Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Usually, "enough" describes a noun before it. So is this an exceptional case or acceptable?

36)See if you can think of something really thoughtful to do for someone, and enjoy it for its own sake. It can be mowing your neighbor’s lawn, or coming home early from work to give your spouse a break from the kids. When you complete your favor, see if you can feel the warmth of knowing you have done something for someone without expecting anything. If you practice, I think you will discover that the feelings themselves are reward enough. What interferes with this peaceful feeling is our expectation of receiving something in return. The solution is to

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Usually, "enough" describes a noun before it. So is this an exceptional case or acceptable?

36)See if you can think of something really thoughtful to do for someone, and enjoy it for its own sake. It can be mowing your neighbor’s lawn, or coming home early from work to give your spouse a break from the kids. When you complete your favor, see if you can feel the warmth of knowing you have done something for someone without expecting anything. If you practice, I think you will discover that the feelings themselves are reward enough. What interferes with this peaceful feeling is our expectation of receiving something in return. The solution is to

It's fine.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The postpositive use of adjectival 'enough' is archaic, although, like most archaisms, sometimes used to lend a grand or literary sound to one's prose.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The postpositive use of adjectival 'enough' is archaic, although, like most archaisms, sometimes used to lend a grand or literary sound to one's prose.

Fair enough.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't call it archaic myself.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Philo specified the 'adjectival enough' as being archaic.

The adverbial 'enough' is of course alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.