Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"After being bumped up to manager, I'm going to have to ride herd on the staff."

Do you use this expression in conversation?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"After being bumped up to manager, I'm going to have to ride herd on the staff."

Never in my life.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

I don't use it, as it seems to equate staff to cattle. It is, however, used by some.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I don't use it, as it seems to equate staff to cattle. It is, however, used by some.

Would you interpret that it conveys the same connotation, if I said that the tourists herded onto the bus or the students herded into the auditorium for an exam?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would you interpret that it conveys the same conotation, if I said that the tourists herded onto the bus or the students herded into the auditorium for an exam?
People (or animals) don't herd themselves, they are herded by somebody else. "The students were herded..." "The tourists were herded..." and yes, for me it carries the same connotation. That of treating people like cattle.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Would you interpret that it conveys the same conotation, if I said that the tourists herded onto the bus or the students herded into the auditorium for an exam?

No. They don't mean the same thing.

According to ride herd on - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. "ride herd on" means:

Fig. to supervise someone or something. (Alludes to a cowboy supervising cattle.)
to be responsible for controlling a group of people and their actions

"To herd" means to move people as a group.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. They don't mean the same thing.

According to ride herd on - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. "ride herd on" means:

Fig. to supervise someone or something. (Alludes to a cowboy supervising cattle.)
to be responsible for controlling a group of people and their actions

"To herd" means to move people as a group.

Don't get me wrong I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible to use it.

"Meaning:
1 [+ obj] : to gather and move (a group of animals) ▪ herd cattle ▪ The horses were herded into the corral.
2 a [+ obj] : to move (people) in a group ▪ We left the hotel and were herded onto a bus. ▪ They herded the students into the auditorium. b [no obj] : to form a group or move as a group ▪ The commuters herded onto the train.
—herd·er /ˈhɚdɚ/ noun plural herd·ers [count]"

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes you can herd people. It implies that they're just moved about like animals.

If you've ever watched a tour bus full of tourists, you know exactly what it looks like. :-D

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes you can herd people. It implies that they're just moved about like animals.

If you've ever watched a tour bus full of tourists, you know exactly what it looks like. :-D

It also says that people can move like animals without being herded by other people.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Don't get me wrong I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible to use it.

"Meaning:
1 [+ obj] : to gather and move (a group of animals) ▪ herd cattle ▪ The horses were herded into the corral.
2 a [+ obj] : to move (people) in a group ▪ We left the hotel and were herded onto a bus. ▪ They herded the students into the auditorium. b [no obj] : to form a group or move as a group ▪ The commuters herded onto the train.
—herd·er /ˈhɚdɚ/ noun plural herd·ers [count]"
Where does this definition come from, ostap?

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Absolutely. This is a very common expression in my part of the world (Texas, United States). It is used regularly here.
In fact I am guilty of saying it quite a bit! :)

Not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'The commuters herded into the train' isn't anything I've ever heard. The word is sometimes used to refer to the process of forming a herd: 'Every year at this time hundreds of thousands of wildebeest herd before migrating in search of the lush grass of <wherever>'.

In my experience, commuters crowd[/U ]or squeeze or squash themselves into carriages. They can also swarm into them, but that's slightly more dynamic.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
'The commuters herded into the train' isn't anything I've ever heard. The word is sometimes used to refer to the process of forming a herd: 'Every year at this time hundreds of thousands of wildebeest herd before migrating in search of the lush grass of <wherever>'.

In my experience, commuters crowd[/U ]or squeeze or squash themselves into carriages. They can also swarm into them, but that's slightly more dynamic.

b

I just wanted to let bhaisahad know where I snaged this information from.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

b

It seemed like normal usage to me.

Here in Canada they do indeed "herd onto the train" in a very disorderly manner. It's not that there's not enough space, which squeezing or squashing would imply, but they're just moving like a herd of sheep.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At my workplace, we often talk about "cat herding." That would be an impossible task. Trying to get a group of (usually high level) managers to act together -- like returning to a meeting room after a break, while they are all on their Blackberries -- is almost as impossible. The meeting organizer might ask someone to go out there and herd the cats, meaning to try to get the managers to return to the meeting room.

However, in response to the original question, I don't think we'd talk about "riding herd" on your employees, though I would talk about riding herd on a group of school children out on a field trip.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
In these parts, people often say that they were herded onto a bus or train, in or out of a hall, into the next room; wherever folk are obliged or prompted to move as a group. Even if it's merely by someone holding the door open and saying, "If you would kindly move through here ladies and gentlemen, the speeches are starting in a minute". The next day it will be: "They herded us into the next room before I had a chance to get to the bar!".

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Understand that in our parts it has specific meaning "to supervise with very strict control" -- nothing to do with moving people into elevators, trains, rooms :)

I suspect if you don't say it in your everyday lingo it has little meaning.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
not teacher

Ride herd is a cowboy term, Zane Grey probably used it a lot. )
The cowboys with the lassos, circling the herd, they are riding herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.