Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can I use the term 'evolutionary inclination' to suggest someone is inclined to behave in a certain way? Is this okay?

Sara has an innate evolutionary inclination towards self-reliance, consistently avoiding the need to depend on others.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It does not seem natural to me to think of an inclination towards self-reliance as having anything to do with evolution.
How about these examples?

1. Living in a remote village, the people have developed an evolutionary inclination towards self-reliance.
2. Over time, the people of the tribe developed an evolutionary inclination towards cooperation, gradually adopting a culture of teamwork over generations.
3. She believes that there exists an evolutionary inclination in all individuals to seek validation and acceptance from others.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Piscean already said that he thinks "self-reliance" doesn't naturally go with "evolutionary inclination" so why did you use it again in example 1 in post #3?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't much care for that phrase. Maybe "inborn" would work better than "evolutionary".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "an instinct for self-reliance/self-reliance instinct"?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Piscean already said that he thinks "self-reliance" doesn't naturally go with "evolutionary inclination" so why did you use it again in example 1 in post #3?
I thought they meant it didn't work in that particular sentence.

Are sentences 2&3 okay?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What kind of evolution are you talking about?

Clearly, the problem with the sentence about Sara is that individual people don't evolve. Evolution is either biological (at the level of genes) or cultural (at the level of memes).

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What kind of evolution are you talking about? Cultural evolution?

Clearly, the problem with the sentence about Sara is that individual people don't evolve. Evolution is either biological (at the level of genes) or cultural (at the level of memes).
I mean a mixture of biological/mental/cultural evolution that would allow those people to increase their chances of survival.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, I don't think it works well. You could say 'evolutionary predisposition'.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, I don't think it works well. You could say 'evolutionary predisposition'.
Are these okay?

1. Over time, the people of the tribe developed an evolutionary disposition towards cooperation, gradually adopting a culture of teamwork over generations.
2. She believes that there exists an evolutionary disposition in all individuals to seek validation and acceptance from others.
3. The species used to be solitary a very long time ago but it developed an evolutionary disposition for group living.
4. The monarch possessed an evolutionary disposition to assume the worst in people, a trait also observed in his ancestors.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. They learned that if they cooperated with each other they were more successful. With time they learned how learned how to cooperate more and more to achieve success.
2. Do you believe that there's just an inborn distribution in all individuals to seek validation and acceptance from others.
3. The species gradually changed from solitary living to living in groups.
4. The monarch had sbtendency to assume the worse than people, a trait also observed in his ancestors.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these okay?

1. Over time, the people of the tribe developed an evolutionary disposition towards cooperation, gradually adopting a culture of teamwork over generations.
2. She believes that there exists an evolutionary disposition in all individuals to seek validation and acceptance from others.
3. The species used to be solitary a very long time ago but it developed an evolutionary disposition for group living.
4. The monarch possessed an evolutionary disposition to assume the worst in people, a trait also observed in his ancestors.
I'd like to know if these are okay. I'm not asking for them to be re-phrased.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Are these okay?

1. Over time, the people of the tribe developed an evolutionary disposition towards cooperation, gradually adopting a culture of teamwork over generations
You can't develop an evolutionary disposition.