Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My cousin took the IELTS test and he got an overall 7. That was amazing for him because he wasn't an English major and he began to learn English last year. I was surprised at his achievement and we chatted with each other today. He said now he could work as a teacher who teaches IELTS because he knows many people who teaches IELTS soon after they knew their scores, usually an 8. I know he was joking but I still said "Scoring high and experienced in teaching are oranges and apples".

The intended meaning is "There are many people teaching IELTS. They're not only required to get a high score in the IELTS test but also they must be experienced of teaching it".

Is the italic sentence natural? Please help me with a natural one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Getting a good score on the IELTS and teaching others to pass it are like chalk and cheese.
Getting a good score on the IELTS and teaching others to pass it are very different beasts.
Getting a good score on the IELTS and teaching others to pass it are a million miles apart.

I'm not saying that your "apples and oranges" metaphor is wrong. It's just not one I'm familiar with.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
American English - apples and oranges
British English - chalk and cheese

@Silverobama If you had to be experienced at doing something to get a job doing it nobody would ever do it. You have to start somewhere. It's good to have experience, but nobody starts out with experience. For every single thing you do there is a first time. I would say that knowing how to do something and teaching it are two different things. Maybe you're good at doing something, but you don't have the patience to teach somebody else. You need a different skill set to do it than you do to teach it. Having said that, it sure helps if you know how to do something if you're going to teach it.