Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I think it's perfectly natural for my student to say "This is the second year of my high school; I have two more years to go" when she is talking to people who she usually meets in some English clubs when these people ask her the question "Are you going to study abroad soon?". Many young people are studying abroad so it's not uncommon to hear such a question.

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's perfectly natural for my student to say "This is the I'm in my second year of my high school; I have two more years to go" when she is talking to people who she usually meets in some English clubs when these people ask her the question asked "Are you going to study abroad soon?" No full stop here Many young people are studying study abroad so it's not uncommon to hear such a question.

Is the italic sentence natural?
With my corrections, it's a natural sentence. However, as 5jj said, it's a useless response to the actual question!

A: Are you going to study abroad soon?
B: I might do it in a couple of years but I have to finish high school first.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"This is the second year of my high school" means that the school has only existed for a year or so.

• Thanks
Reactions: 5jj

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say, "I'm a sophomore," but I don't know if she knows that word. (I might say that if I really was a sophomore. 😊)