Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "sending for the children", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

“Habit” because Adriaan was married with children, although the situation was at once less stark and more difficult than it sounded. He had been left by his wife a year earlier. She had left him for another man, with whom she was now comfortably ensconced, not in The Hague or Rotterdam or Amsterdam even, but in Lisbon. She had left the country altogether, removing herself from the bad weather and the marriage and sending for the children one month after she had gone. The children, who had been neither taken nor left by her, the arrangement was not entirely clear, not even now, one year later.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 3

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is thinking about her new lover Adriaan's marital situation. Adriaan was left by his wife, and is yet to reach agreement with his wife about the custody of their children.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
My best guess is that she sent somebody, some other person other than herself, to fetch for the children to bring the children back to where she stays, but I am not sure. o_O
Or would it mean that she just called to her children to come to her place...?
(Right now, after one year of separation, she and her children are staying together at Lisbon.)

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
If she sent for the children, she indicated in some way that the children should come to her, She may have written, phone, emailed etc, I suppose it's possible she asked someone to fetch them.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Piscean and @teechar,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Oh, so then "send for" here would have this meaning:

to send someone a message asking them to come to see you

She would have emailed, or called, or texted children saying that they should come and see her.

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is not, I think, quite right. What probably happened is she contacted the adult who was taking care of them and told them to send them (the children) to her. When you "send for" somebody you have them come to where you are. (Who the message was sent to would depend somewhat on their ages, of course.)

(the children)