Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
1) There are a few hundred people in the street.
2) There are a few hundreds of people in the street.

As far as I know 1 is correct. As for 2 many will say that it's not. But I am not sure. Can 2 mean that the people are divided in hundreds (that is, groups of one hundred) hence, 2 may mean there are a few groups of one hundred people in the street. It's the same as one-hundred-dollar bill. There are a few hundreds of dollars = there are a few one-hundred-dollar bills.

What do you think?

2) is not natural.

2) is not natural.
I suppose. What bothers me is this explanation.

If you were to say
We need a few more hundreds.
it could be construed as meaning the need was specifically for hundred-dollar bills, instead of a quantity of money that is merely in the hundreds of dollars.

Without a context, that sentence is ambiguous. It is not even clear that the sentence is about "dollars".

Without a context, that sentence is ambiguous. It is not even clear that the sentence is about "dollars".
The point is not in dollars but in the word "hundred".

Here is another example

In Anglo-Saxon England, and for many centuries after, the hundred—approximately, a territory supporting one hundred households—was a fundamental administrative division. By the middle of the 19th century few hundreds had any legal role.

If someone handed you 5 one-hundred dollar bills and you said "I need a few more hundreds", the sentence would make sense.

If someone handed you 5 one-hundred dollar bills and you said "I need a few more hundreds", the sentence would make sense.
Then, I suppose, sentence 2 may make sense either?

Are you talking about the original #2? That sentence does not work for me. It certainly does not mean that the people in the streets are bundled up in groups of 100.

Note: We do not use "either" in positive sentences to indicate agreement. We use "too", "also" and "as well". Your sentence is not a question.

Are you talking about the original #2? That sentence does not work for me. It certainly does not mean that the people in the streets are bundled up in groups of 100.

Note: We do not use "either" in positive sentences to indicate agreement. We use "too", "also" and "as well". Your sentence is not a question.
OK. What if the people were really bundled up in groups of 100? Wouldn't this sentence work?
Note: I took that sentence as an interrogative one.

I don't spend much time analyzing highly improbable/impossible sentences.

I don't spend much time analyzing highly improbable/impossible sentences.
You have just analyzed one telling about a few hundreds of dollars. Seems like you don't like "people", though. Odd!

Moreover, the situation is not improbable/impossible in our world. You, personally, might not find yourself dealing with it daily, but some people do. I see nothing impossible in a situation where people are divided into groups of 100.

Then write what you want. Why ask questions if you think you already have the answers?

1) There are a few hundred people in the streets. (200-500)
2) There are hundreds of people in the streets. (200-999)

To me, #1 implies less people than #2. That's a fine distinction.

We don't usually "bundle" people in exact hundreds. If we did, we might say:

There are people in the field grouped in one hundreds.

Sometimes, hundreds of people really mean a thousand or more. That's because it's really hard to make an accurate estimate on a large group/crowd of people.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back