She always has a gift when/since she married me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello there,

Would you pelase tell me if it would be more grammatical to use "(ever) since" now "when" (if the meaning is the dad is her main gift)?
Also, I am wondering - what is exactly the punchline here? The third line looks weak and the dad's line looks wittier.
source link

Kid: Dad, what are you getting mom for Valentine’s Day?
Dad: She always has a gift when she married me.
Kid: I didn’t think you were supposed to give gag gifts for Valentine’s Day.

The second line is the weakest. It would have been better as something like "She got the greatest gift she could hope for when she married me". Having said that, that would make the third line nonsensical.
The "punchline" is that the kid is suggesting that marrying his dad was more of a joke than a gift.

The "punchline" is that the kid is suggesting that marrying his dad was more of a joke than a gift.
What is exactly the gag gift supposed to be in this joke? They got married on Valentine’s Day, do I understand correctly?

What is exactly is the gag gift supposed to be in this joke?
The kid's saying that statement of his father amounts to a gag gift. A gag gift is a jokey gift, often a joke at the receiver's expense.

This is ungrammatical. The father means: Being married to me is gift enough./Being married to me is the Valentine's Day gift she gets every year.

The kid then replies "You're supposed to give her a proper gift, not make jokes".

It doesn't mean they got married on Valentine's Day (though they could have).

Last edited:
My two cents.

The kid asks his dad what he's getting Mom for Valentine's Day. Dad says he is the gift. The kid says he doesn't think you're supposed to give gag gifts on Valentine's Day. (It's pretty weak -- like one of my jokes. 😊)

Kid: Dad, what are you getting mom for Valentine’s Day?
Kid: I didn’t think you were supposed to give gag gifts for Valentine’s Day.

Well, I missed this point, where the kid refers back to the dad's "gift". :oops::oops::oops:
Now the joke makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back