Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Interviewer: And when later on the teaching side in your novel seemed to grow stronger than the entertaining side, were you working out these new ideas of mysticism and the divine ground for yourself in these books?
Huxley: My problem is always being, of course, to find, if possible, some kind of balance between the two sides.
(1.57 - 2.21)

I'm not sure whether Huxley says is always being or has always been. If the former, what's the difference in meaning between:

1) My problem is always being to find some kind of balance between the two sides.
2) My problem has always been to find some kind of balance between the two sides.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's has always been.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a native speaker, Huxley would never have used is always being there.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Huxley is pronouncing been [bin] (cf. the word "bean"), which comes very close to sounding like "being" [biŋ].

In the United States, I and most other native speakers pronounce been [bɪn] (cf. the word "bin").

You can also hear the pronunciation [bɛn] (cf. the name "Ben"). All three pronunciations are listed in The Oxford English Dictionary (OED).

As for your mistaking Huxley's pronunciation of has for is, Alexey, the [h] has gone unpronounced, coming, as it does, right after [m] in rapid speech.

The only inaccuracy in hearing is your hearing the [æ] ("cat," "ban," "raft") in Huxley's has as [ɪ] ("is," "bit," "rim").

Status
Not open for further replies.