Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Is this sentence OK?

She is the person with whom I share my secrets, who I trust my secrets with, and with whom I often discuss private affairs.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You can, but does it really need to be that long and complicated?

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
I think the more complicated, the better. :-(
I have read lost of books, magazines and samples of writing and find that they all written in complex way. I want to be like those writers. I think if I write something simple, everyone thinks of me as an intermediate English learner. I love to be like advanced English learners, but I can't. Sometimes I get really exhausted because I always try to use complicated words and grammar rules :-|

Is it better and simpler?
She is the person with whom I share my secrets. I also discuss private affairs with her because I trust her with my secrets.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think the more complicated, the better. :-(
No, that's not necessarily true, especially if you're a learner.

I have read lots of books, magazines and samples of writing and find that they were all written in a complex way. I want to be like those writers. I think if I write something simple, everyone thinks of me as an intermediate English learner. I would love to be able to write like advanced English learners, but I can't. Sometimes I get really exhausted because I always try to use complicated words and grammar rules. :-|
I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to write like advanced English learners. You just need to be patient and practice more (reading and writing).

Is it better and simpler now?
She is the person with whom I share my secrets. I also discuss my private affairs with her because I trust her with my secrets.
It's much better now, but as an exercise, can you put it all into one shorter sentence? ;-)

Last edited:

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
No, that's not necessarily true, especially if you're a learner.

I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't be able to write like advanced English learners. You just need to be patient and practice more (reading and writing)

Thanks teechar for correcting me.

Because when I want to write or speak about a new topic I lack ideas. To solve this problem, I try to read lots of books related to the topic to help me to brainstorm. Finally, I can write and talk about that topic. However, when I want to start writing or speaking about something new, I am lacking in ideas again and I don’t have good vocabulary in my mind to use them in my new topics. This make me feel that I haven’t yet made any progress, and makes me really tired. Sometimes I get so exhausted and hopeless that I decide to give up the IELTS exam, but I can’t. I want to make my wishes and dreams come true in my life. I want to be an English teacher,:) my only dream in my life. I really LOVE English. Sometimes I think I fall in love with it. :-D But, I often lose all of my hopes again, because I think I am not smart enough and I can’t never and nevet speak English fluently.:-(

Last edited:

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Is it better now?

She is the person who I share and trust my secrets with, and I can discuss private affairs with her too.

OR

She is the person with whom I share and trust my secrets, and who I can discuss private affairs with too.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks teechar for correcting me.

[STRIKE]Because[/STRIKE] When I want to write or speak about a new topic, I lack ideas. To solve/overcome this problem, I try to read lots of books related to the topic to help me (to) brainstorm. [STRIKE]Finally, I[/STRIKE] Only then can I write and talk about that topic. However, when I want to start writing or speaking about something new, I am lacking in ideas again, and I don’t have good vocabulary in my mind to use [STRIKE]them in my[/STRIKE] for the new topics. This make me feel that I haven’t yet made any progress and makes me really tired. Sometimes, I get so exhausted and hopeless that I [STRIKE]decide to[/STRIKE] feel like giving up on the IELTS exam, but I can’t. I want to make my wishes and dreams come true. [STRIKE]in my life.[/STRIKE] I want to be an English teacher,:) my only dream in [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] life. I really LOVE English. Sometimes, I think I've fallen in love with it. :-D But, I often lose all of my hopes again, because I think I am not smart enough and I can’t ever [or can never] [STRIKE]never and nevet[/STRIKE] speak English fluently.:-(

It's only natural to feel frustration from time to time. However, it's not useful to dwell on negative sentiments. The secret to success is to incorporate fun into the learning process. It never helps to push yourself too hard. You're doing well, so compliment yourself on your achievements and continue to build on your successes. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is it better now?
She is the person who I share and trust my secrets with, and I can discuss private affairs with her too.

OR

She is the person with whom I share and trust my secrets, and who I can discuss private affairs with too.
Those are okay, but let's go back to the one above.
This is what I was thinking of:

She is the person with whom I share my secrets [STRIKE]. I also[/STRIKE] and discuss my private affairs [STRIKE]with her[/STRIKE] because I trust her. [STRIKE]with my secrets.[/STRIKE]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She is the person with whom I share my secrets, who I trust my secrets with, and with whom I often discuss private affairs.

Using with whom twice and who...with looks a little odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.