'she must NOT have made it' vs. 'she mustn't have made it' vs. 'she must have not made it'

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
In this passage there is a slight pause after 'must' and a stress on 'not':

' I saw Isabella she had a blank expression on her face. I'm not sure what happened with the knife she was carrying it looked like she was still holding on to it, and I looked down and I saw my wife on the floor blood everywhere all over the bathroom. I was talking to the dispatcher and the dispatcher told me, 'Make sure you get her breathing again. Get her airways open.' I don't know CPR so... But at that time I looked at my wife's eyes and I knew that she must not have made it. I just couldn't, couldn't believe that, that it had happened like that. Isabella was in a rage like I've never seen before.'

(from an interrogation of Ryan Hoy, Youtube video 'When An Insane Teen Killer Makes Detectives Snap')

Would there have been any difference in meaning if he had said, '...she mustn't have made it' or 'she must have not made it' instead?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, I'd suggest that you don't use this as a model for your own learning purposes.

The answer to your question is no. In the context, all three variations would mean something like 'she was conclusively dead'.

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
What about

'To be admitted, the student must not have done any prior work in this subject.'

Would the above sentence be equivalent to

2. 'To be admitted, the student must have not done any prior work in this subject.',
or
3. To be admitted, the student must haven't done any prior work in this subject.',
or
4. 'To be admitted, the student mustn't have done any prior work in this subject.' ?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
2. The not is in the wrong place. It belongs between must and have.
3. It's completely wrong to contract have and not.
4. It's inappropriate to such a register to contract must and not.