she treated him to a coy smile of invitation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The verb land here is not like send, so you can't use a dynamic preposition. Think of it as being like put: Put a glass to the table. ❌
Could you explain it in a bit more details? Because both land and send sound dynamic to me.

Both land and send are dynamic verbs, but land is not directional in the horizonal sense.

NASA sent men to the moon.
Their capsule landed on the moon.

The asronauts went to the moon.
They were on the moon.

I carried/took the book to the shelf.
I placed put the book on the shelf.

After land, the preposition phrase that expresses the final position is a preposition of place.

The ball landed in the neighbours' garden.
The responsibility has landed on my shoulders.

Could you explain it in a bit more details? Because both land and send sound dynamic to me.
Try:

Could you provide a more detailed explanation?

Or:

Could you explain it using more details?

You can't use "a bit more" there because details are countable. Try: a few more.

Off-topic.

My phone apparently prefers the British spelling ("neighbour"), and I have used it because it saved time. (Tapping is easier than typing.)

Off-topic.

My phone apparently prefers the British spelling ("neighbour"), and I have used it because it saved time. (Tapping is easier than typing.)

If it's an Android phone that's a setting under General Management, Language and Input. I keep mine set to Australian English.😀

If it's an Android phone that's a setting under General Management, Language and Input. I keep mine set to Australian English.😀
It is an Android phone. Interesting. I'll have to check to see what it's set to.

Added: I checked. It's set for English (United States), which is not surprising, because I bought it here, but that's not American spelling, so what gives?

Last edited:
It is an Android phone. Interesting. I'll have to check to see what it's set to.

Added: I checked. It's set for English (United States), which is not surprising, because I bought it here, but that's not American spelling, so what gives?
You might have a spellchecker installed on your browser on your phone. You need to check what that's set to as well.

You might have a spellchecker installed on your browser on your phone. You need to check what that's set to as well.
If that's true I didn't install it. (I don't like spell checkers. They don't tell you what you need to know. (You can get homophones wrung all day long. I can catch the wrong homophone. It can't.)

How exactly do you wring a homophone?

(;))
In case you weren't joking with that question and for the benefit of any learners who didn't understand jutfrank's post - I think that was the point. A spell checker wouldn't pick up that "wrung" wasn't the right word for that sentence. It correctly recognises it as an English word.

Wring rang wrong. 🤩

A spellchecker would find no fault with Your knot aloud too reed allowed inn hear.

I will try to do better and try harder not to miss those things.
😐

"she treated him to a coy smile of invitation"

I don't understand the function of to here.

Will the meaning be different if with be used instead?

It's "to" because the phrase is "to treat someone to something".

Can I treat you to an ice cream? (Can I offer to pay for an ice cream for you?)
She treated me to a coy smile. (She gave me a coy smile. It was a treat for me!)

You can't say "She treated me with a coy smile".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back