Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which is closer to the meaning of the sentence 'She was able to leave work early yesterday.'?

a) She left work early yesterday.
b) She had the opportunity to leave work early yesterday, but we don't know if she took it.

Could someone please tell me which one is correct?

Source: Oxford Practice Grammar. The topic of a lesson was about "can/could/be able to".

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer is b).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Definitely B.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Piscean that both are possible, but without any further context, I would go for b).

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I also got for b), but the answer in the book is a). Thanks all for all your helpful and informative information.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I didn't think Mary would make it to the station in time, but she did. She was able to leave work early. So, thanks to her kind boss, we were able to catch the early train.

That seems to be a context for (a).
Thanks teacher. So helpful example, and in your example, "be able to" means to have ability". However, "b" means an opportunity.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I also got for b), but the answer in the book is a). Thanks all for all your helpful and informative information.

Exams are tested with many before they are released because answers that may seem clear to the person writing the question are sometimes less clear to the audience. That shouldn't undermine your faith in a book unless they keep doing it.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Exams are tested with many before they are released because answers that may seem clear to the person writing the question are sometimes less clear to the audience. That shouldn't undermine your faith in a book unless they keep doing it.
Thanks teacher for sharing your helpful tip with me. You are right. I felt so happy when I found that almost all, like me, went for answer b).

Status
Not open for further replies.