Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I know a woman who's a teacher. She's not typically good-looking but I think she's charming. She read many books and traveled to many countries. She also have deep thoughts and understanding of many things. She's mature.

I wrote a sentence about her. She's glamorous and full of thoughts.

I wonder if my italic sentence is natural.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Full of thoughts" is not natural.
Knowledgeable? Cultured?
..ready many books - well-read?
has travelled to many countries
What do you mean by "typically good-looking"?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I want to say that she's thoughtful and I used "full of thoughts". She's not typically good looking. She's not what people think a good looking girl could be.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

She has read many books and traveled to many countries. A lover of knowledge, she has read many books and is interested in many things. She is very knowledgeable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a bit of a redundancy. Certainly, an ignorant teacher is somebody nobody would want to learn from..

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
glamorous is not the right word. At least, you didn't mention anything about her being glamorous in your description.

I'm not yet convinced that thoughtful is exactly the right word, either. Could you explain a little more what you mean?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
glamorous is not the right word. At least, you didn't mention anything about her being glamorous in your description.

I'm not yet convinced that thoughtful is exactly the right word, either. Could you explain a little more what you mean?

I think the question is a tough one and that's why I didn't or couldn't explain to questions earlier.

"Glamorous" is the word I chose for her. Even thought she's not good looking (compared to what I think a pretty woman is) but she's attractive in some way. For example, when I read the things she posted online, I found that she has her own understandings and thoughts about them. Not like many others don't have their own thoughts.

Since the term is in Chinese and I try to translate it into English. I found two expressions based on its Chinese meanings.

She's a woman of depth.
She has a deep mind.

I think of a word when typing and answering to your question, jutfrank, sophisticated.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perhaps thoughtful is okay, then.

The way you're describing her brings to my mind the following:

She's a deep thinker.
She's an independent thinker.
She's a free thinker.

She's a woman of depth.
She has a deep mind.

I don't like those.

I think of a word when typing and answering to your question, jutfrank, sophisticated.

Are you thinking about what she looks like here? If so, that's not right.

Can you say a bit more about what you mean? Try not to think of Chinese words, if you can.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Perhaps thoughtful is okay, then.

The way you're describing her brings to my mind the following:

She's a deep thinker.

She's a free thinker.

I don't like those.

Can you say a bit more about what you mean? Try not to think of Chinese words, if you can.

I want to describe her in spoken English not written English. I tried to describe her yesterday in our chatroom.

She's an independent woman. I think she's charming (glamorous) because she has her own thoughts. I remember once she told her disgust toward racism in our chatroom because a man was humiliating Indian people and she stood up and answered back to him. Also, the things she wrote or posted were full of thoughts, yes, knowledgeable.

"Full of thoughts" or "thoughtful" is directly translated from what I'm thinking, jutfrank.

No, I meant what she acts like.

I wonder if I can say "She's a charming woman and a deep thinker as well". I wonder if you can tell me what deep thinker means, perhaps it's word I'm looking for.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think she's charming (glamorous) because she has her own thoughts.

I can't make sense of this sentence. glamorous is definitely the wrong word and I'm not sure what you mean by charming. All I can understand is that you like the fact that she has her own thoughts, whatever that means.

I remember once she told her disgust toward racism in our chatroom because a man was humiliating Indian people and she stood up and answered back to him.

That does not make her thoughtful, or a deep thinker, or anything that you've described so far.

Also, the things she wrote or posted were full of thoughts, yes, knowledgeable.

thoughtful and knowledgeable are not similar at all, because thoughts and knowledge are very different things.

"Full of thoughts" or "thoughtful" is directly translated from what I'm thinking, jutfrank.

This is a large part of the problem, Silver. It feels like you're translating from Chinese. That's why I have very little understanding of what you mean.

I wonder if I can say "She's a charming woman and a deep thinker as well".

Possibly. It depends what you mean. If you want to explain more, try not to use any adjectives to describe her. Just talk about exactly what she said that impressed you, and in what way you were impressed.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. If I just think that this woman is attractive to me and I want to date her because some of her personality traits. What can I say in spoken English to talk about her?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see. If I just think that this woman is attractive to me and I want to date her because some of her personality traits. What can I say in spoken English to talk about her?

Ah, it makes much more sense now. Well, there are a lot of things you can say.

A good word is attractive/attracted. You're attracted to her. In British English, you can say you fancy her.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ah, it makes much more sense now. Well, there are a lot of things you can say.

A good word is attractive/attracted. You're attracted to her. In British English, you can say you fancy her.

I wonder if the following sentences are all okay.

I'm attracted to her.
She's attractive.
I fancy her.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Say:

She expressed her disgust about racism.

How do you humiliate somebody in a chatroom?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Forget about full of thoughts.

Status